REPORT | Charlton 3 Crystal Palace 2

REPORT | Charlton 3 Crystal Palace 2

Derby day delight for the Addicks as a 76th minute winner from substitute Melissa Johnson sealed a 3-2 triumph over Crystal Palace in SE7 in the Barclays Women’s Championship action.

First-half strikes from Angela Addison and Kayleigh Green saw the Addicks go into the half-time interval level. However, the all-important third goal from Melissa Johnson saw the forward put the Addicks ahead with fourteen minutes remaining.

It was a perfect start for the Addicks at The Valley as they produced a handful of goalscoring opportunities inside the opening fifteen minutes. 

The first of which came in the fifth minute as Humphrey unleashed Ayisi down the right flank. The winger did well to beat her full back and send a lofted ball across the box to Green at the back post however, the centre forward was unable to get a strike away.

Just ten minutes later, the Addicks took the lead through Angela Addison. Freda Ayisi showed great composure in the middle of the park to take it past a Palace midfielder with ease before sending a through ball for Addison to latch onto. The 23-year-old took a touch and rifled an effort toward the near post and into the top corner to give Charlton the lead, an unstoppable strike.

Nine minutes after the opener, the Eagles drew level. Elise Hughes showed great composure in the Charlton box to tee up Dennis who’s effort thundered off the bar from close range. Fortunately for the away side, Hughes was there to head home the rebound from six yards.

With five minutes remaining of the first-half, Charlton were awarded a free-kick deep inside the Crystal Palace half. Humphrey stepped up to the set-piece and swung a dangerous ball into the penalty box. The ball was met by the head of Kayleigh Green on the penalty spot and bounced into the side netting to restore the Addicks lead.

The Addicks’ celebrations were cut short before the interval as the visitors drew level yet again in the 43rd minute. A corner was cleared back toward the half-way line from a Charlton defender and was collected by Dennis. The winger let fly from distance with an outrageous attempt, clipping the underside of the bar on its way into the back of the net.

It was an instant impact from substitute Melissa Johnson who restored the Addicks lead with her first touch in the 76th minute. The forward received the ball in the opposition’s box and chipped an effort toward the top corner, Negri got a hand to the strike but the ball trickled across the line to put Charlton ahead.

Hills’ side came close to extending their lead to two shortly after their third through Freya Godfrey. The substitute collected the ball deep into the Charlton half and surged forward, eventually finding herself in the Palace box. The winger fired an effort across goal but Negri made the important stop to deny the 18-year-old.

Up next for the Addicks is an away trip to Lewes on the 3rd of November at The Dripping Pan.

Charlton: Rogers, McKenna, Roe, Skeels, O’Rourke, Ross, Humphrey (Johnson 75), Longhurst, Ayisi (N’Dow 87), Green, Addison (F. Godfrey 61)


Subs (Not used): Gray, H. Godfrey, Bashford, Roche, Muya, McGowan


Goals: Addison 14, Green 40, Johnson 76


Crystal Palace: Negri, Reilly (Cataldo 90+), Doran, Nolan, Everett, Filbey (Arthur 77), Blanchard, Hopcroft (Guyatt 90), Hughes, Sharpe, Dennis (Bailey-Gayle 77)


Subs (Not used): Lambourne, Johnson, Potter


Goals: Hughes 23, Dennis 43

Read Time: 3 mins