REPORT | London City 0 Charlton 2

London City 0 Charlton 2

Two first-half strikes from Angela Addison and Carla Humphrey were enough to seal back-to-back victories for the Addicks. 

From kick-off, Charlton were on the front foot as they launched the first attack on their opponents. It was Melissa Johnson who sprinted down the wing, unleashing a fierce half-volley shot, but Lionesses' goalkeeper Moloney showed her prowess by making a solid save. 

The opening minute was packed with action as Angela Addison made a menacing run down the left and delivered a powerful pass to Johnson, who took a shot at goal, but Moloney once again came to the Lionesses' rescue.

The intensity continued to rise as Carla Humphrey stepped up to deliver a corner in the 2nd minute, but Kayleigh Green's header rose above the bar but hit it wide. Johnson continued to apply the pressure as she raced down the wing in the 5th minute, launching a strike that saw the ball ricocheting off three Lionesses defenders.

Both teams battled fiercely, creating chances and pushing for a breakthrough. It was Charlton who finally shattered the impasse in the 31st minute. Addison expertly crossed the ball into the box, only for a Lionesses defender to inadvertently deflect it into their own net, putting Charlton in front with a 1-0 lead! 

Karen Hills' side continued the pressure on the Lionesses' defence. In the 43rd minute, Carla Humphrey stepped up for a corner and skilfully curled the ball around the keeper, finding the back of the net and extending Charlton's lead to 2-0. 

As the half drew to a close, the Lionesses were granted a free kick in the dying moment of the half But  Addicks keeper', Jess Gray, confidently came off her line to comfortably catch the ball.

The second half kicked off with Green making an audacious attempt at goal in the 51st minute. The striker spotted the Lionesses' keeper off her line and rocketed a shot towards the goal, but Moloney's quick reflexes ensured the ball was safely gathered back.

Charlton continued their relentless attempt to extend their lead as the corner ball from the Addicks in the 52nd minute glided into the box. Kate Longhurst made a quick flick and fired from close range, but Moloney brilliantly held on and gave her side a goal kick.

The Addicks made their first switch on the hour mark as Freda Ayisi came on for Longhurst. Ayisi soon made her presence felt in the attacking third, expertly swivelling in the box to get her shot away. However, the striker's attempt to find the back of the net could only find the side netting.

Charlton continued to pile on the pressure, displaying beautiful buildup play in the 63rd minute that saw Green flying down the centre. The ball sailed inches wide of the post. 

The game began to see some physical play and frustration from London City as Brougham was awarded a yellow card in the 71st minute and Boy-Hlorkah from the London City Lionesses was also booked yellow in the 75th minute. 

Charlton held firm securing a momentous 2-0 in Dartford.

London City: Moloney, Mukandi, Brougham, Joel, Alexander (Scofield 57), Fitzgerald, Carter, Wilde (Neville), Culver, Heuchan, Boye-Hlorkah (Satchell 82)

Subs (unused): Hillyerd, O’neill, Groves, Eze  

Yellow Cards: Brougham 72’ , Boye-Hlorkah 74’  

Charlton: Gray, McKenna, Johnson, Addison (Muya 88),  Humphrey (F.Godfrey 82) , Longhurst (Ayisi 60) , Green (Roche 82), Skeels, Bashford , O’Rourke, Roe.  

Subs (unused): Rogers, H. Godfrey. 

Goal: Addison 31’ , Humphrey 43’ 

The Addicks's next test will come against Durham at The Oakwood on Sunday, October 8th KO 12 pm BST, click here to secure your tickets! 

Charlton v Durham

Read Time: 3 mins