REPORT | Reading Women 0 Charlton 0

Charlton v Reading

The spoils were shared in a highly energised duel at the Select Car Lease Stadium as the Addicks continued their unbeaten run with a goalless draw against Reading Women. 

The game started with Deanne Cooper of Reading unleashing a fierce shot on Charlton’s net, but Sian Rogers was up to the task, gathering the ball with confidence.

Charlton then mounted some impressive early pressure, putting Reading on the back foot. Their relentless attacking style showcases their hunger and desire.  

As the clock hit the 12th minute, Kayleigh Green set her sights on the goal with a glancing header, but the ball sailed wide of the post. 

Charlton showcased their attacking prowess with bursts of creativity. In the 19th minute, Kairn Muya exploded forward on the right, she threaded a precise pass to Melissa Johnson, who fired a shot goalwards.

But, Emily Orman, the Reading goalkeeper, safely caught the ball in her gloves, denying Charlton an early lead!

The first quarter of the match witnessed a flurry of action from Charlton, as the Addicks strived to gain the upper hand. With plenty of time left on the clock, the potential for breathtaking moments loomed large. 

Both Woodham and Primmer were booked for Reading just before the interval. 

The Royals were then reduced to ten in the 49th minute when Troelsgaard was shown a red card for an off ball incident. 

Just moments after the red card, Charlton came incredibly close to taking the lead. Muya's well-executed flick found Green, who was poised and ready to strike. However, her attempt at a header narrowly missed the mark, denying Charlton the breakthrough. 

Charlton continued to push forward, with Rebecca McKenna leading the charge down the flank. Her surging run was met by Green's diving header, but the ball landed in Reading's goalkeeper's gloves.

In the 68th minute, Chartlon's No.4 Mia Ross rose above the defence to meet a corner with a strong header towards the goal. Kate Longhurst attempted to flick it on, but the ball agonizingly trickled wide of the post. 

As the game approached its final stages, both managers sought to inject fresh impetus into their teams. Charlton made a double substitution, introducing Freda Ayisi and Angela Addison in place of Karin Muya and Elisha N'Dow.

Ross, who had been a constant threat throughout the match, found herself in the referee's book for a late challenge. 

 A few minutes later, Charlton came close to taking the lead in the 87th minute as Humphrey's powerful strike struck the post.

In a heart-stopping moment, Rogers pulled off a miraculous save to deny Reading a last-minute goal.

Charlton return to The Valley on Sunday, September 10th to take on Watford Women, click here to secure your tickets!

Charlton v Watford

Charlton: Rogers, Mckenna, Ross (F.Godfrey 87), N’Dow (Addison 78), Johnson, Longhurst ©, Green, Muya (Ayisi 78), Skeels, Roche (Humphrey 60), Roe  

Subs (not used): Gray, Bashford, O’Rourke, Bell  

Bookings: Ross (79), Green (90+)  

Reading: Orman, Dugdale, Cooper, Primmer, Wade, Hendrix , Mayi Kith, Estcourt, Woodham, Roberts, Troelsgaard   

Subs:  Wilson, Longhurst, Meadows-Tusson, Elwood, Kite, Kennedy, Cox, Rasmussen

Bookings: Woodham (45+) Primmer (45+) Troelsgaard (49) (Red) 

Read Time: 3 mins