PRE-SEASON REPORT | Dulwich Hamlet 1 Charlton 2

Lyle Taylor and Jake Forster-Caskey were both on the scoresheet as Charlton earned a friendly victory over Dulwich Hamlet at the KNK Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Taylor continued his fine summer form by putting the Addicks ahead after 15 minutes and Dulwich hit back with a Byron Lawrence piledriver prior to the break, but Forster-Caskey netted the winner early in the second half to see off the newly-promoted National League South side.

Lee Bowyer started the same side which finished the last half hour against Cambridge United behind closed doors on Tuesday afternoon, with the addition of trialist Elliott Ward at centre-back and Chris Solly at right-back.

After a couple of early wayward shots from the hosts, the best chance in the opening exchanges fell the way of Taylor, who steered an effort just over the bar from Tariqe Fosu’s knockdown. It was not long, however, before the Addicks has their lead and it was that man Taylor who etched his name on the scoresheet for the third time this pre-season.

Played into the right side of the box, he picked his spot and dispatched a fine effort into the bottom left-hand corner.

Dulwich had a half-chance to equalise on 21 minutes when their trialist striker forced Dillon Phillips into a point-blank save, while Jake Forster-Caskey came close at the other end with a well-hit strike from the edge of the box which flew inches wide of the post and Taylor forced keeper Preston Edwards into a stop at his near post.

Although it was the Addicks who were enjoying the lions’ share of both possession and chances, the home side did draw level eight minutes before the break thanks to Lawrence’s stunning strike from distance, which nestled into the back of the net via the inside of the post.

Ashley Maynard-Brewer was the only replacement at half-time as he came on for Dillon Phillips between the sticks and the visitors continued to into the second period before regaining their lead in the 53rd minute.

A superb run across the box from Karlan Grant resulted in the forward squaring a ball towards the back post where Forster-Caskey lay in wait to tap home.

The hour-mark brought about 10 changes for the Addicks with every outfield player being replaced by the likes of Josh Magennis and Nicky Ajose who took their place up front. And it was another substitute who came a whisker away from a third when youngster Alfie Doughty got on the end of Albie Morgan’s excellent cross, only to be denied by Edwards’ fantastic save from close range.

Doughty had another site of goal with 15 minutes left after Magennis had delivered a perfectly-weighted ball forward, but his first-time volley flew over the bar.

The remainder of the encounter played out without any further chances of note and Bowyer’s men will continue their pre-season with a trip to face Crawley Town at Eat Grinstead on Saturday afternoon.

Charlton: Phillips (Maynard-Brewer 46), Solly (Marshall 61), Ward (Bauer 61), Pearce (Sarr 61), Blumberg (Page 61), Lapslie (Doughty 61), Forster-Caskey (Maloney 61), Dawkins (Aribo 61), Fosu (Morgan 61), Grant (Ajose 61), Taylor (Magennis 61).

Goals: Taylor 15, Forster-Caskey 53

Dulwich Hamlet: Edwards, Taylor (Trialist 65), Green, Ferguson (Kargbo 62), Okuonhae (Trialist 65), Chambers, Clunis (Ming 81), Carew, Trialist (Akinyemi 62), Tomlin (May 62 (Onovwigun 84)), Lawrence.

Subs: Tangara, Abrahams.

Goal: Lawrence 37

Referee: D Skipper

Read Time: 3 mins