REPORT | Peterborough United 0 Charlton 0

Charlton kept their unbeaten start to 2019 going with a 0-0 draw at promotion rivals Peterborough United.

The Addicks knocked on the door throughout an intense second half and saw a late penalty from Karlan Grant saved as they weren’t quite able to secure the three points their performance deserved.

After a fast start from the home side, Charlton were the better team and looked most dangerous following the second half introduction of Reeco Hackett-Fairchild.

Without the suspended Lyle Taylor, Bowyer brought Ben Reeves back into the team, after his influential appearance from the bench in last week’s 1-0 win over Accrington Stanley. The Charlton boss opted for a 4-3-2-1 formation with Reeves and Jonny Williams providing support for the in-form front man Grant. 

Despite the loud travelling Addicks it was Posh who started the better of the two teams with an early Ivan Toney overhead kick straight at Dillon Phillips and a Matty Godden header going over the goalkeeper’s crossbar. 

After the quicker start from the home side, Charlton began to play their way into the game and nearly took the lead when a Josh Cullen inswinging corner, that looked destined for the goal, was just headed behind by Rhys Bennett in the 23rd minute.

Cullen was close again four minutes later when he got on the end of a chip from Grant but his volley into the ground was tipped over by Posh goalkeeper Conor O’Malley. 

The Addicks pressure continued to up and Charlton thought they had a penalty when referee David Webb blew his whistle after Williams went down in the Posh area but instead the winger was booked for diving. 

As half-time approached Reeves fired over following a corner and Grant had a shot blocked after some good work by Ben Purrington down the left, while Peterborough looked most dangerous from set pieces which the Addicks defence dealt with well. 

The second half began with a real intensity and within two minutes both sides could have scored the game’s opening goal.

Within 30 seconds of kick-off Godden attacked a Toney cut-back but his first-time effort went just wide. 

At the other end Grant ran at pace from the left, cut inside onto his right foot and saw his deflected effort, from just inside the area, crash into the Peterborough crossbar.

Darren Pratley was next to go close, getting in front of his defender and heading just wide after Reeves did very well to create space and cross from the left. 

With the scores level Bowyer opted to revert to his favoured 4-4-2 diamond formation as Hackett-Fairchild replaced Darren Pratley in the 65th minute. 

The substitution appeared to work as the Addicks took hold of the game. 

Reeves effort went just past the post after Cullen had done very well to win the ball up the pitch and that was a warning as three minutes later, on 77, the West Ham loanee won the ball, drove into the area and was fouled going away from goal earning the visitors a penalty.

Grant, so calm in front of goal with his match-winning penalty last week, saw his penalty saved though as O’Malley dove to his right.  

Minutes late, the striker was just unable to get a toe on the end of a dangerous cross from the impressive Hackett-Fairchild. 

The Addicks chased a winner but had to settle for a point ahead of an interesting few days ahead of the transfer window closing on Thursday.

Peterborough United: O’Malley, Naismith (C), White, Godden (Dembele, 81), Reed, Bennett, Toney, Lafferty, Maddison (Ward, 87), Tomlin (Cooper, 72), Dempsey.

Subs (not used): Chapman, Woodyard, Cooke, Ward, Stevens.

Booked: Naismith (86, foul on Fosu)

Charlton: Phillips; Solly (C), Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Cullen, Bielik, Pratley (Hackett-Fairchild, 65); Williams (Fosu, 82), Reeves, Grant.

Subs (not used): Maxwell, Dijksteel, Marshall, Lapslie, Clarke, Fosu.

Booked: Williams (32, diving), Bielik (68, foul on Toney), Reeves (77, dissent)

Referee: D Webb

Attendance: 9,002 (2,531 from Charton)

Read Time: 4 mins