REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 Charlton 1

Play-off rivals Charlton and Doncaster battled out a thrilling 1-1 draw at the Keepmoat Stadium.

A 72nd minute own goal from John Marquis was quickly followed by a Mallik Wilks equaliser giving the sides a point a piece.

The Addicks controlled much of the opening 75 minutes but a late onslaught by the home side after their goal could have easily given them the points and Tommy Rowe had a stoppage time winner controversiall,y but replays would initially suggest correctly, ruled out for offside.

Lee Bowyer, serving the first of a three-game touchline ban, made two changes from the side that beat AFC Wimbledon last week. Krystian Bielik, returning from suspension, and last week's match-winner Igor Vetokele, came in for Mark Marshall and George Lapslie as Bowyer reverted to his preferred 4-4-2 diamond formation.

Charlton dazzled in the opening 20 minutes had the better of an open and exciting first half with the visitors creating their first clear cut chance on the one-minute mark. After a trademark attacking drive by Jonny Williams down the right the ball came to Vetokele who touched off to Lyle Taylor before getting it back from his strike partner nine yards out. His shot, was blocked by a desperation last ditch tackle as the home fans breathed a sigh of relief.

Just minutes later a Chris Solly cross from the left was headed at goal by Bielik but it was a comfortable save for Marko Marosi.

Half chances came and went for Joe Aribo and Josh Cullen before Taylor went through on goal after a nice link-up between Vetokele and Williams. The striker’s first-time effort was too close to Marosi, who still did well to block.

Taylor then had an effort cleared off the line from a Ben Purrington cross but the striker was adjudged just offside in any case.

Doncaster’s best chance of the half came just before the half hour mark when Patrick Bauer did very well to make up a lot of ground and black a Marquis effort over the bar.

Just after the half hour mark the prolific striker had a goal ruled out when he was adjudged offside after getting on the end of a Mallik Wilks cross.

The Addicks took back control and two superbly-controlled volleys in the space of three seconds from Bielik could both have given the Addicks a half-time lead. The first was blocked by a Doncaster defender’s head and the second was skilfully tipped over the bar by Marosi meaning the sides went in level at the break.  

The second half started at the same pace and Aribo had an early half chance when he cut inside from the right with his left foot and his shot went just over.

A bit of home pressure saw Bielik bravely block a James Coppinger effort and Solly clear a Paul Downing header off the line. 

The Addicks seized control again and Taylor saw his effort from a Purrington pass bounce back of the Doncaster post.

Some brilliant work by Cullen resulted in Aribo having two shots blocked, the second one behind for a corner. It was from that corner the Addicks took a deserved lead. Charlton played it short allowing Cullen to find room and his whipped cross could only be diverted by his own goalkeeper by Marquis.  

The Addicks went 4-5-1 to try and settle a nervy game down but Doncaster struck back through the best player on the pitch. Wilks collected the ball just outside the area on the Charlton left, swivelled quickly and hit an arrowed left-footed effort into the bottom left of Dillon Phillips’ goal.

Charlton’s goalkeeper was called into action again before full-time doing brilliantly to save low from Marquis.

Rowe then had a stoppage time winner ruled out for offside as the sides took home a point each. 

Doncaster Rovers: Marosi, Andrew, Butler (C), Wilks, Whiteman, Marquis, Crawford (Blair, 59), Kane (Rowe, 78), Coppinger (May 78), Downing, Lewis

Subs (not used): Jones, Smith, Sadlier, Blaney

Goal: Wilks (77)

Booked: May (post-game dissent)

Charlton: Phillips; Solly (C), Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Bielik (Dijksteel 90+5), Cullen, Aribo, Williams (Fosu, 62); Taylor, Vetokele (Marshall, 76)

Subs (not used): Maxwell, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Reeves, Pratley

Goal: Marquis (own goal, 72)

Referee: B Toner

Attendance: 8,385 (1,101 from Charlton)

Read Time: 4 mins