REPORT | Charlton 0 Wigan Athletic 2

Charlton succumbed to their second defeat of the season at the DW Stadium on Saturday afternoon, with Chey Dunkley netting twice for Wigan Athletic.

Lee Bowyer opted to make four changes to the side that narrowly lost to Birmingham City last weekend and it was the visitors who started brightly, Jonathan Leko displaying his pace on the right before crossing the ball into the area although it was a shade high for the arriving Tomer Hemed. 

Hemed would also come close to opening the scoring with eight minutes gone when Deji Oshilaja’s low cross was flicked on by the Israeli but the contact wasn’t clean enough to trouble David Marshall in the Wigan goal. 

Four minutes later and the Latics had two sniffs on goal after Naby Sarr’s pass out from the back fell the way of a blue shirt, gifting them a run at goal. Their initial shot was dealt with but miscommunications in the Charlton defence persisted and Dillon Phillips was forced into making a smart save. 

From then on it was the hosts who were looking the more dangerous exposing Charlton’s weaknesses on the backfoot. 

Paul Cook’s side were to take the lead on 22 minutes, Dunkley volleying the ball past Phillips following a corner to compund the Addicks' defensive issues in the opening half hour. 

Bowyer’s side were a goal behind, and Wigan were continuing to push. Kieffer Moore linked up with Jamal Lowe with the former heading down towards the near post, but Phillips was on hand to make an ultimately simple save. 

With half an hour played, Darren Pratley showed his experience, making an inch-perfect tackle in the box to deny Michael Jacobs a run at goal, Jonny Williams then led the counter attacking charge only to be scythed down by Sam Morsy who somehow escaped a booking. 

As the clock ticked towards half-time the game started heating up with a number of confrontations on the pitch riling up both the home and away supporters, frustrating for the Londoners who were having their attempts to get back into the game disrupted. 

As the first half entered added time Charlton finally seemed to be creating a number of chances but ultimately ended the half a goal down. 

Charlton kicked off the second half a more composed outfit but were still failing to test Marshall. 

Tom Lockyer arguably should have restored parity on 53 minutes when Conor Gallagher’s blocked effort dropped to him in the box but the defender scuffed his shot wide. 

Meanwhile, up the other end, Lockyer was the hero when his perfectly-timed challenge snuffed out Lowe’s mazy run. 

Wigan could have gone ahead on the hour mark when Charlie Mulgrew arrived at the back stick to meet a corner in from the left, but his improvised effort rattled the woodwork. 

Hemed was then replaced by Macauley Bonne as Bowyer looked to inject some fresh legs into the Addicks attack. 

With 25 minutes left to play it was Bonne who would have the visitors next chance, turning on the edge of the box and firing what turned out to be a tame shot which was Marshall was happy to collect. 

With the Addicks still chasing the game, Bowyer turned to his bench for inspiration again bringing off Pratley for Chuks Aneke.

But the hosts would further their lead on 70 minutes. Dunkley again timing his run perfectly to meet a corner and head beyond Phillips who could do little to stop the close-range effort. 

Aneke’s introduction to the game provided some threat, the imposing attacker hampering the Latics defense.

Charlton seemed destined to score as the game entered stoppage time, but some last ditch defending and an incredible save from Marshall to deny Cullen's header ensured that Wigan held on their clean sheet and keep the points in Lancashire.

Wigan Athletic: Marshall, Byrne, Robinson, Morsy (c), Lowe (Naismith 69), Massey (Evans 69), Mulgrew, Jacobs, Moore (Garner 84), Williams, Dunkley 

Subs (not used): Jones, Macleod, Fox, Gelhardt

Goal: Dunkley (22, 70)

Booked: Morsy 45 (Foul on Gallagher)

Charlton: Phillips, Purrington, Oshilaja, Lockyer, Williams, Gallagher, Leko, Pratley (c)(Aneke 68), Sarr, Cullen, Hemed (Bonne 62)

Subs (not used): Amos, Pearce, Forster-Caskey, Solly, Field

Booked: Lockyer 55 (foul on Lowe)

Attendance: 9567 (970 from Charlton)

Referee: Andy Davies

Read Time: 4 mins