REPORT | Charlton 0 Blackburn Rovers 2

Charlton’s five-game unbeaten streak at The Valley came to an end against a resolute Blackburn Rovers.

The visitors struck twice in the first half, with Storm Dennis at their back, and gave the Addicks very little as they closed the game out in the second half. 

Lee Bowyer made one change from the side that beat Nottingham Forest in midweek with Aiden McGeady making his first start for the club in place or Erhun Oztumer who moved to the bench. 

Charlton started well and Lyle Taylor saw a shot from the edge of the area comfortably saved by Christian Walton in the second minute.

Tomer Hemed then turned nicely to create room on his left foot but saw his shot palmed away by Walton in the Blackburn goal.

After the fast start from the Addicks the visitors began to grow into the game, exploiting the blustery conditions courtesy of the storm sweeping the country. 

Rovers saw a penalty appeal turned down following a collision between Jason Pearce and Dominic Samuel in the Charlton area in the 17th minute.

12 minutes later and they were in front through John Buckley. The winger cut in unchallenged off the left and struck a right-footed shot from outside the area, the ball deflected off a Charlton defender leaving Dillon Phillips no chance in the Addicks’ goal.

Rovers’ second was more controversial, the visitors were awarded a very generous free kick but made no mistake. Stewart Downing’s cross from the left wing found an unmarked Tosin Adarabioyo who was clinical from eight yards out.

The impressive Walton did very well to deny the Addicks an instant reply when he reacted quickly to keep out a well placed Taylor header from close range. 

With the Addicks chasing the game Bowyer opted for a change of formation at half-time moving from a 3-5-2 for a 4-diamond-2 with Matt Smith replacing Jason Pearce. 

Like the first half the Addicks started the second half at pace, with Smith forcing a save from Walton with his first kick of the game. 

Taylor then saw a free kick nervously palmed away by Walton before the Rovers’ keeper comfortably gathered a deflected Hemed header. 

The Addicks pressure continued and Andre Green was introduced from the bench, followed by Macauley Bonne but Addicks struggled to create any clear cut chances against a resolute Blackburn defence. 

Taylor came closest curling a free kick from just outside the area before Josh Cullen’s thunderstrike from long range was tipped behind by Walton but Rovers deservedly took home the three points.

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Pearce (C) (Smith 46), Sarr; Matthews, Davis, McGeady (Bonne 69), Cullen, Doughty; Taylor, Hemed (Green 60)

Subs (not used): Amos, Purrington, Oshilaja, Oztumer

Blackburn Rovers: Walton, Nyame, Johnson, Armstrong (Chapman 72), Samuel (Brereton 81), Bell, Downing, Adarabioyo, Leninhan, Travis, Buckley (Bennett 84)

Subs (not used): Leutwiler, Graham, Davenport, Carter

Goals: Buckley 29, Adarabioyo 37

Booked: Buckley (32, foul on Lockyer), Bell (41, foul on Matthews), Lenihan (55, foul on McGeady), Nyambe (90+3 timewasting)

Referee: A Davies

Attendance: 25, 363 (2,063 from Blackburn) 

Read Time: 3 mins