REPORT | Swindon Town 1 Charlton 3

Macauley Bonne, Charlie Barker and Chuks Aneke scored as the Addicks completed a comfortable 3-1 win at Swindon Town to advance to the second round of the Carabao Cup.

For 17-year-old Barker it was a particularly special moment; the son of former Addicks' Assistant Manager Richie was making just his second appearance after impressing in his debut against AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday.

The Addicks had the better of the game and took the lead in the first half with a stunning strike from Bonne to open his account for the season. Substitute Jonny Smith equalised in the second half but Barker was on hand to head home at the back post after a well worked Charlton free kick before a late powerstrike from Aneke.

Lee Bowyer made five changes from the side that played in the EFL Trophy on Tuesday with Darren Pratley coming in to skipper the side as the Addicks lined up in a 4-3-3 formation.

It was a swift start for the home side who saw a low effort from Diallang Jaiyesimi go just wide in the sixth minute.

The Addicks settled into the game and Bonne forced a comfortable save from Matej Kovar in the 25th minute from a Jake Forster-Caskey free kick, although the assistant referee had his flag up.

James Vennings gave Kovar more of a scare when the Manchester United loanee had to gather a powerful shot from the Charlton academy graduate in the 33rd minute.

Charlton were in front three minutes later and in stylish fashion. Ben Purrington picked out Bonne who chested expertly before powering a left-footed volley past Kovar from just inside the penalty area.

Forster-Caskey forced a low save from Kovar minutes later as the Addicks’ pressure continued but Swindon made it to the half-time break just 1-0 down. 

The Addicks pressed again early in the second half, with a half chance falling to Alfie Doughty before Swindon began to get back into the game.

Jack Payne and Jonny Smith forced a decent double save from Ben Amos just before the hour mark and the hosts were level shortly after when Smith very smartly punished a defensive mistake.

Alex Gilbey was handed his Charlton debut in the second half and impressed with his ability to get away from defenders and to carry the ball in midfield.

It was from a foul on Gilbey that Charlton went back in front. Forster-Caskey stepped up to take a free kick just inside the opposition half. Substitute Chuks Aneke won the knock down straight into the path of Barker at the back post to head past Kovar.

Doughty had a great chance late on but Kovar did well to stand up and beat the ball away. Aneke, however, made no mistake in the 90th minute, powering a right-footed striker past the goalkeeper to secure the victory for Charlton.

Swindon Town: Kovar, Hunt, Odimayo, Fryers, Iandolo, Grant, Lyden (J Smith, 50), Doughty, Jaiyesimi, Payne (Hope 72), T Smith (Pitman 79)

Subs (not used): Matthews, Curran, Caddis, M Smith

Goal: J Smith 65

Booked: Doughty (74, foul on Gilbey), Odimayo (81, foul on Gilbey)

Charlton: Amos; Lapslie, Barker, Oshilaja, Purrington; Vennings (Gilbey 60), Pratley (C), Forster-Caskey; Oztumer (Aneke 71), Bonne (Morgan 86), Doughty

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Dempsey, Henry, Davison

Goals: Bonne 36, Barker 74, Aneke 90

Booked: Oztumer (23, blocking a free kick)

Referee: B Huxtable

Attendance: 0 (Behind Closed Doors)

Read Time: 3 mins