EFL TROPHY REPORT | Charlton 1 Brighton & Hove Albion U21s 1 (Charlton win 4-1 on penalties)

Albie Morgan scored his first Charlton goal as the Addicks drew 1-1 with Brighton & Hove Albion U21s at The Valley in the EFL Trophy before the home side won in late penalty shootout drama.

Charlton controlled much of the game and despite going 1-0 down to an unfortunate own goal, rallied in the second half and secured an additional bonus point in the competition's Group G with some cool penalties and excellent saves from Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Lee Bowyer opted for a young team, with only three of the Charlton matchday squad not coming through the Addicks esteemed academy. The Addicks lined up in a 4-3-3 formation with Ben Watson make his first start for the club, since signing on Friday, while Jay Mingi and Luca Vega were handed senior debuts.

The Addicks controlled the opening half hour and nearly went 1-0 up when George Lapslie got to the byline and pulled back, Brighton defender Ben Wilson got a foot to it with the ball spinning just wide of the goal.

Jake Forster-Caskey curled an effort wide and Albie Morgan forced a good save from Carl Rushworth after a wonderful passing move from the Addicks. 

Brighton took the lead against the run of play on the half-hour mark through an unfortunate deflection off George Lapslie. Stefan Vukoje’s shot at goal would have been comfortable for Maynard-Brewer but took a deflection, giving the Australian goalkeeper no chance. The goal was later given an own goal.

The goal slowed the pace of the game down and the Addicks, despite a lot of possession, were unable to created any more clearcut chances before the break.

Charlton levelled shortly into the second half when Jake Forster-Caskey’s shot from range was too much for Rushworth to handle. The Brighton keeper spilled and Albie Morgan made no mistake to smash home from eight yards.

As the game wore on both sides made changes, with Lucas Ness one of the substitutes used, making his first appearance for the club.

Chances for either side were few and far between but James Vennings forced a 70th minute save from Rushworth as both sides chased a winning goal and substitute Junior Quirtirna saw his shot blocked after some nice link-up play down the Addicks' left wing.

Charlton had a chance to win in the last minute of normal time when Davison won the ball back high up the pitch and played in Lapslie but a Brighton defender got around just in time to deny him with a last-ditch tackle. Morgan then just cleared the crossbar deep in to stoppage time meaning the game went to a penalty shootout.

The Addicks made no mistake in the shootout, despatching their penalties confidently, with Maynard-Brewer making two saves as Charlton won 4-1 taking them to two points from two games.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Lapslie, Barker, Mingi, Vega (Ness 55); Morgan, Watson (C) (Quitirna 61), Vennings, Forster-Caskey; Williams (Henry 46); Davison

Subs (not used): Harness, Ghandour

Goal: Morgan 49

Booked: Watson 45 (foul on Weir), Morgan 75

Penalties: Vennings (scored), Morgan (scored), Henry (scored), Davison (scored)

Brighton & Hove Albion: Rushworth, Cushman (Leonard 24), Yapi, Weir (C), Spong, Wilson (Enema Ella 63), Packham, Vukoje, Furlong, Baluta (Tsoungui 63), Turns

Subs (not used): Desbois, Tanimowo, Everitt, Offiah 

Goal: Lapslie, own goal 30

Booked: Leonard 41

Penalties: Spong (saved), Yapi (scored), Vukoje (saved)

Referee: L Swabey

Read Time: 3 mins