REPORT | Charlton 1 Wigan Athletic 0

In a new-look Charlton side, it was Jake Forster-Caskey who scored the crucial goal, as Lee Bowyer's team beat Wigan Athletic 1-0.

The Addicks deserved their win, the first of the Thomas Sandgaard era, with Forster-Caskey, Chuks Aneke and new boy Paul Smyth posing a regular threat to the visitors.

A busy transfer window closed on Friday, with Bowyer and Steve Gallen adding nine players to the Charlton squad in the three weeks following the takeover of Sandgaard.

The Charlton Manager handed four of his new signings debuts, as the Addicks lined up in a 4-diamond-2 formation.

The Addicks started on the front-foot and Smyth saw his fourth minute shot at goal blocked.

The Northern Ireland international was causing problems with his bustling style of play and got to the byline in the 11th minute, crossing for Forster-Caskey, whose ingenious flick was too close to Coventry goalkeeper Jamie Jones.

Forster-Caskey hit the crossbar in the 19th minute, with Jones beaten after another good break from the lively Smyth.

After the promising Charlton start, the Latics managed to create a bit of pressure and Darnell Johnson forced a good save, from the in-form Ben Amos, with a powerful 22nd minute header from a Lee Evans corner.

Minutes later and the visitors had a better chance when Joe Garner wastefully blazed wide after a clever first touch to free up a half volley from 10 yards. 

The Addicks snatched momentum back with Aneke at the heart of the Addicks pressure. He hit straight at Jones just after the half-hour mark before getting to the byline and putting a dangerous cross in which the Wigan stopper was able to gratefully gather.

The home side’s best chance of the half came in the 38th minute. After a lovely passing move, Aneke turned his defender with an incredibly deft touch, Jones was out just in time to block the striker’s effort behind for a corner. 

Charlton started the second half with the same intensity and Jones was forced into action again when he was given a scare with a looped Alfie Doughty cross to the back post. 

Just before the hour mark Aneke collected well from Amos, travelled with the ball and played a clever through ball in behind the defence for Darren Pratley but again Jones was out just in time and blocked over. 

After an impressive hour Aneke made way for another debutant in form of Omar Bogle.

The Addicks took the lead with Forster-Caskey's pin-point free kick from more than 30 yards. Goalkeeper Jones like he had the effort covered but the ball bounced into his goal off the post. 

Following the goal the visitors showed a little more adventure but Amos was able to gather comfortably from a Kai Naismith effort and later blocked well from Naismith and Will Keane.

The away side then hit the crossbar when Naismith set-up Evans and at the other end Darren Pratley had a shot blocked on the line after a pulled back cross from Forster-Caskey.

With time running out Doughty set-up Bogle but the striker dragged wide and the Addicks were able to defend confidently to secure three points.

Charlton: Amos; Gunter; Inniss, Famewo, Doughty; Watson, Forster-Caskey, Pratley, Shinnie (Purrington 73); Aneke (Bogle 60), Smyth (Washington 86)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Morgan, Levitt, Williams

Booked: Gunter 23 (foul on Solomon-Otabor), Watson 48 (foul on Keane), Smyth 68 (foul on Keane)

Goal: Forster-Caskey 65

Wigan Athletic: Jones, Tilt, Jihnson, Naismith, Evans, Keane, Massey, Garner, Gardner, Solomon-Otabor, James

Subs (not used): Evans, Crankshaw, Joseph, Merrie, Jolley, Aasgard, Long

Booked: Keane 39 (foul on Smyth), Evans 64 (foul on Forster-Caskey), Massey 67 (foul on Doughty)

Referee: O Yates

Attendance: 0 (behind-closed-doors)

Read Time: 3 mins