REPORT | Charlton 0 Blackpool 3

It was a day to forget in south London for the Addicks who finished the game with nine men in a 3-0 defeat to Blackpool.

Two Jerry Yates penalties either side of a Matty Virtue long-range strike were added to by two red cards to Darren Pratley and substitute Chuks Aneke in the second half as the Seasiders took the three points.

The visitors found themselves ahead early on as Sullay Kaikai picked out Ellis Simms on the left hand-side. His through ball found the striker, who had beaten Deji Oshilaja for pace before being pulled down by the defender. Blackpool’s top scorer Yates stepped up from the spot to send Ben Amos the wrong way and slot the penalty down the middle, the Addicks were behind just 10 minutes in.

Charlton had the ball in the back of the net just moments later, but this was ruled out. A corner from the right-hand side found Pratley at the far post, the midfielder’s flicked a ball back into the box over his shoulder and this was met by Akin Famewo. Famewo’s flick on was met by the on-running Jayden Stockley just six yards out, whose header beat Chris Maxwell, but the flag was up for offside, although the replays suggested that he was in an onside position.

Blackpool doubled their lead before half-time through Virtue. The midfielder received the ball from Simms 40 yards out, who dribbled towards the edge of the box before unleashing a low driven strike, beating Amos off the left-hand post.

A quadruple half-time substitution saw the introduction of Aneke, Ben Watson, Matt Smith and Ian Maatsen.

A minute into the half, Pratley was dismissed due to an off the ball incident. The midfielder appeared to brush the face of a Blackpool player as he got up from a challenge and received his second yellow card.

Blackpool added their third from the spot in the 52nd minute. Substitute Watson was adjudged to have brought down Yates in the Charlton box. Once again, the replay told a different story, with very minimal contact. Nevertheless, the striker stepped up to calmly slot past Amos, who dived the right way, low to his left.

A chance soon followed for the visitors as Luke Garbutt danced into the box from the left-hand side, but the left-back’s shot could only find the side netting.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, the Addicks were still looking to attack. A succession of corners in the second half produced a few half-chances before Stockley headed over from a Shinnie freekick with 15 minutes left to play.

Charlton were reduced to nine men in the final minutes as Aneke was sent off competing for a header. Despite only having eyes for the ball, Aneke’s flailing arm caught Daniel Ballard in the face and the referee dismissed the forward.

Five minutes later, the referee called time on a disappointing 90 minutes for the Addicks.

Charlton: Amos; Gunter, Famewo, Oshilaja, Purrington (Maatsen 45’); Millar (Smith 45’), Pratley, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi (Watson 45’); Washington (Aneke 45’), Stockley (Schwartz 82’).

Subs (not used): Harness, Pearce.

Booked: Oshilaja 28’ (foul), Shinnie 55’ (foul), Famewo 79’ (foul).

Sent off: Pratley 48 (second-bookable offence), Aneke 85 (violent conduct)

Blackpool: Maxwell; Lawrence-Gabriel, Ballard, Thorniley, Garbutt; Ward (Robson, 84’), Stewart, Virtue, Kaikai (Mitchell, 62’); Simms (Shaw, 84’), Yates (Embleton, 67)

Subs (not used): Moore, Dougall, Turton.

Goals: Yates 10, 52 (pen x 2), Virtue 37

Booked: Yates 63’ (foul)

Read Time: 3 mins