REPORT | Oxford United 0 Charlton 0

Charlton secured an away point in a hard-fought 0-0 draw at Karl Robinson’s Oxford United, but a penalty save deep in injury-time denied the Addicks all three points with the last kick of the game.

In a scrappy game both goalkeepers were relatively untested until the fourth minute of injury time when Jayden Stockley was felled in the box, leaving Ronnie Schwartz to step up to the spot. But Jack Stevens' threw himself to hie left to pull off a fantastic save, leaving Charlton frustrated.

The point, though, made it five away games unbeaten on the road. 

Lee Bowyer named an unchanged side from the team that beat Wigan Athletic in midweek but the Addicks did set up in a slightly different formation with Matt Smith operating slightly to the right of a midfield four with Liam Millar wider on the left.

The Addicks posed an early question for referee Tom Nield when Millar tried to play in Conor Washington. His pass, which would have sent Washington through one-on-one, appeared to strike the arm of an Oxford defender but Nield remained unmoved. 

The Addicks first shot at goal was from the left foot of Ian Maatsen but was blocked away by the Oxford defence. The home side saw Daniel Agyei shoot wildly wide after getting in behind the Charlton defence. 

A nice Charlton move allowed Millar to find Jake Forster-Caskey in the box but his left-footed effort from a tight angle was wide of the goal. 

Akin Famewo then did well to block a shot from Olamide Shodipo just before the half hour mark and Forster-Caskey then headed over from a Chris Gunter cross, who replaced the injured Adam Matthews. 

Josh Ruffels hit the side netting just before the half-time break but the two sides failed to really test either goalkeeper in the first half

Chuks Aneke, booked in the first half, was replaced by Stockley at half time and headed wide from a Gunter cross with his first involvement in the game.

After a tight opening hour, the game opened up and Anthony Forde saw a powerful shot bounce back off the crossbar for the home side before Millar curled just past the post on a dangerous counter attack.

Forde had another sight at goal shortly afterwards but his shot, which took a deflection, was dealt with by Ben Amos.

Both managers looked for a winner making attacking substitutions but neither were able to get the all-important goal.

It looked as if the Addicks would take the points with seconds left after Stockley was tripped in the box deep in injury time, but Stevens' impressive save from Schwartz's penalty meant that Bower's boys were made to settle for a solitary point.

Oxford United: Stevens, Hanson, Moore, Atkinson, Ruffels, Kelly (Barker 68), Gorrin, Brannagan, Forde (Taylor 82), Agyei (Sykes 82), Shodipo

Subs (not used): Eastwood, Hall, Grayson, Chambers-Parillon

Charlton: Amos; Matthews (Gunter 17), Famewo, Pearce, Maatsen; Forster-Caskey, Watson (Jaiyesimi 77), Smith (Shinnie 77); Millar, Aneke (Stockley 46), Washington (Schwartz 77)

Substitutes: Harness, Oshilaja

Booked: Millar 11 (foul on Forde), Aneke 45 (foul on Atkinson), Watson 71 (foul on Shodipo)

Referee: T Nield

Attendance: 0 (behind closed doors)

Read Time: 3 mins