MATCH REPORT | Morecambe 2 Charlton 2

Despite racing into a 2-0 lead, Charton were forced to share the spoils with Morecambe at the Mazuma Stadium on Tuesday night.

Diallang Jaiyesimi fired Johnnie Jackson’s Addicks ahead inside two minutes before Conor Washington added a second on 27 minutes, though Cole Stockton halved the deficit just two minutes later from the penalty spot, before Anthony O’Connor completed the Shrimps’ comeback 18 minutes from time.

Jackson made one enforced change from last weekend’s victory over Plymouth Argyle, replacing the injured Jason Pearce with Chris Gunter, who captained the side.

It was a dream start in Lancashire as the Addicks raced into an early lead inside 75 seconds, Jaiyesimi’s angled drive, aided by a deflection off Greg Leigh, proved too hot for Jökull Andrésson to handle.

Washington jinked in from the left flank to muster a shooting opportunity just four minutes later, only for the forward to skew his shot wide of Andrésson’s right upright.

A marauding surge forward from Alex Gilbey then saw the midfielder feed Josh Davison in a promising position, though the latter could only rifle over after shifting the ball onto his left foot.

Moments later, dazzling feet from Elliot Lee saw the 26-year-old cruise past Callum Jones, but Andrésson was down promptly to foil the Luton Town loanee at his near post.

A second goal only seemed a matter of time and it duly arrived on 27 minutes when Craig MacGillivray’s measured ball forward found Washington racing in behind Ryan Delaney. And the Northern Ireland international had the finish to match, chipping the onrushing Andrésson with aplomb to double the Addicks’ advantage.

The hosts were given a golden opportunity to halve the arrears just before the half-hour mark, though, referee Andy Haines pointing to the spot after adjudging Gunter to have brought down Cole Stockton.

Stockton dispatched the resulting spot-kick past MacGillivray coolly, drilling his effort down the middle as the Scotsman dived to his left.

Only O’Connor’s heroics prevented Lee from notching Charlton’s third deep into first-half stoppage time, the Shrimps captain thwarting the midfielder with an outstretched boot after he had latched onto Gilbey’s header forward.

The Addicks started the second period sprightly attacking the 690 travelling Addicks, Washington seeing his venomous goalbound effort deflect off O’Connor before Jaiyesimi and George Dobson both unleashed strikes of their own.

Stephen Robinson’s side levelled proceedings on 72 minutes, though, O’Connor heading home Alfie McCalmont’s inswinging corner.

A neatly worked corner routine between Lee and substitute Corey Blackett-Taylor culminated in the former crossing for Washington who saw his header blocked, prompting a goalmouth melee but the Shrimps were able to scramble the ball clear.

Lee was the catalyst again minutes later, this time delivering a deep corner for Ben Purrington at the back post, only for the left wing-back to nod wide.

The Addicks continued to push for a winner thereafter, though it ultimately proved elusive against a resolute Shrimps outfit as the sides shared the spoils.

Morecambe: Andrésson; McLaughlin, O’Connor (c), Delaney, Leigh; McLoughlin, Jones, McCalmont; Ayunga, Stockton, Duffus (Phillips 69)

Subs (not used): Da Silva Mendes, Cooney, Wootton, Gibson, Diagouraga, McDonald

Goals: Stockton 29 (pen), O’Connor 72

Booked: Ayunga 60 (foul on Famewo), Leigh 90+1 (foul on Gilbey)

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Gunter (c) (Kirk 78), Famewo; Jaiyesimi (Blackett-Taylor 74), Gilbey, Dobson, Lee, Purrington; Davison (Burstow 86), Washington

Subs (not used): Harness, Elerewe, Watson, Morgan

Goals: Jaiyesimi 2, Washington 27

Booked: Gunter 28 (foul on Stockton), Dobson 69 (foul on Duffus)

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 4,009 (690 from Charlton)

Read Time: 3 mins