MATCH REPORT | Charlton 2 Fleetwood Town 0

Second-half strikes from Mason Burstow and Albie Morgan secured the Addicks a first league victory in five against Fleetwood Town at The Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Burstow opened the scoring on 53 minutes with his second league goal in three games - and his fifth of the season in all competitions - before Morgan stylishly settled the contest in injury-time.

Jackson made two changes from last weekend’s draw at Cheltenham Town, restoring Craig MacGillivray and Corey Blackett-Taylor to his starting XI while Conor Washington was named among the Addicks’ substitutes bench having shaken off a hamstring niggle.

The visitors started sprightly in the capital and enjoyed an early flurry of chances. First, Danny Andrew curled a left-footed free-kick over MacGillivray’s crossbar from 20 yards before Paddy Lane grazed the woodwork with an overhit cross.

The lively Lane was involved again moments later, this time latching onto Ellis Harrison’s flick-on before firing tamely at MacGillivray.

At the other end, Diallang Jaiyesimi found Sean Clare in behind the visitors’ defence with an incisive through ball, though Alex Cairns was out promptly to smother the defender’s effort. 

Andrew soon showcased his set-piece prowess once more, this time delivering an outswinging corner for the unmarked Tom Clarke, only for the defender to nod over. 

And, just four minutes later, Andrew sent another free-kick whistling over MacGillivray’s crossbar from 25 yards as the game continued in frenetic fashion.

A continual thorn in Fleetwood’s defence, Chuks Aneke delivered a pinpoint centre for Lee and although the Luton Town loanee’s intial shot was bravely blocked by Tom Clarke, he reacted quickest to meet the follow-up and force Cairns into a superb fingertip save.

The Addicks returned from the interval with the same intensity and soon raced into the lead on 53 minutes. Ryan Inniss rose highest to nod Morgan’s deep free-kick across the six-yard box for Burstow to head home in front of the Covered End.

Aneke then forced Cairns into a smart stop at his near post and although Morgan's resulting corner flew straight into the net, referee Brett Huxtable sounded his whistle for an infringement on the visiting stopper.

The visitors spurned a gilt-edged opening of their own on 72 minutes, substitute Shayden Morris showed delivering a tantalising cross across the face of goal, only for the ball to somehow evade Lane at the far post.

Morgan had a golden chance to double the Addicks’ tally in stoppage-time after demonstrating dazzling feet to administer an opening, but the midfielder dragged his left-footed effort agonisingly wide of Cairns’ left upright.

The academy graduate was left to rue his miscued effort for just 35 seconds, though. Zak Jules could only clear substitute Alex Gilbey’s centre as far as the advancing Morgan, who volleyed home coolly to send the Covered End into raptures.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Inniss (c), Famewo; Jaiyesimi, Morgan, Dobson, Lee (Gilbey 69), Blackett-Taylor (Purrington 86); Burstow (Washington 82), Aneke 

Subs (not used): Henderson, Pearce, Watson, Leko

Goals: Burstow 53, Morgan 90+2

Booked: Dobson 70 (foul on Morris), Aneke 79 (time-wasting)

Fleetwood Town: Cairns; Johnston (Nsiala 81), Clarke, Jules, Andrew (c); Matete, Batty (Pilkington 75), Camps; Lane, Harrison, Hayes (Morris 61)

Subs (not used): Donaghy, C.Johnson, Biggins, McMillan

Booked: Matete 52 (foul on Blackett-Taylor)

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Attendance: 21,811 (192 from Fleetwood)

Read Time: 3 mins