U23S REPORT | Charlton 3 Queens Park Rangers 1


Charlton’s U23s stretched their Professional Development League 2 South unbeaten run to six games on Friday afternoon with a 3-1 victory over Queens Park Rangers at Sparrows Lane.

Shiloh Remy headed into his own net to gift the Addicks the lead on 21 minutes before Daniel Kanu added a second 10 minutes later. Ody Alfa pegged the hosts back four minutes before the interval, though Johl Powell emerged from the bench to ensure Anthony Hayes’ side claimed maximum points in New Eltham with a well-taken finish in injury-time.

It took a matter of minutes for the Addicks to craft an early opening as Wassim Aouachria latched onto James Vennings’ flick-on, only for the Algerian to fire tamely at Murphy Maloney from just inside the 18-yard box.

Jason Adigun soon found Kanu racing in behind Jordy de Wijs, though Maloney was out swiftly to smother the forward’s effort.

Hayes’ side gained their just reward for an enterprising start on 21 minutes, as Kanu’s tantalising cross was nodded past Maloney by Rs midfielder Remy under pressure from the advancing Adigun.

Kanu was involved again soon after, this time forcing Maloney into a superb point-blank save after the forward had met Aouachria’s low cross, only for the linesman to subsequently flag for offside. 

A 31st goal of the campaign for Kanu seemed only a matter of time and it duly arrived just three minutes later, when Euan Williams’ low drive deflected into the path of the frontman, who was on hand to double the Addicks’ advantage.

At the other end, Nathan Harvey had to be alert to beat away Faysal Bettache’s venomous drive from distance.

However, moments later, the visitors halved their arrears, Joe Gubbins nodding on an inswinging corner for Alfa, who stabbed home from close range.

The flow of the second period was disrupted somewhat shortly before the hour-mark as Charlie Barker and Alfie Lloyd collided, though thankfully the duo were both able to resume having been patched up.

The rest of the half passed with little incident until the 84th minute when Aaron Henry’s sprayed ball caused all sorts of problems for Maloney. The stopper was dispossessed by Kanu who tapped home calmly, although the goal was subsequently chalked off for an infringement.

The Addicks soon had a scare as Rs substitute Lloyd drove into the box before striking Harvey’s left upright, though Powell settled the outcome in the first minute of stoppage-time with a low drive past Maloney after exchanging a neat one-two with Adigun.

Charlton U23s: Harvey; O’Connor (Oguntayo 46), Barker, Ness, Chin; Henry (c), Vennings (Viggars 58), Adigun, Williams; Aouachria (Powell 46), Kanu

Subs (not used): Whitling, Santos

Goals: Remy (og) 21, Kanu 31, Powell 90+1

Booked: Oguntayo 76 (foul on Ajose)

Charlton fans can support the academy by signing up to the Valley Gold scheme. Valley Gold enables fans to support the club’s academy in unearthing the talents of tomorrow, as well as giving them the chance to win cash prizes.

For more information on how you can become a Valley Gold member, please click here.



(Photos: Tom West)

Read Time: 3 mins