MATCH REPORT | Charlton 1 Gillingham 0

Alex Gilbey’s first-half strike inspired Charlton to a 1-0 win over Gillingham at The Valley on Tuesday night. 

The midfielder struck five minutes before the interval, coolly slotting home from 14 yards to help the Addicks record a first triumph in eight.

Johnnie Jackson elected to make four changes from last weekend’s defeat at Accrington Stanley, restoring Adam Matthews, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Gilbey and Conor Washington to his starting line-up.

The opening quarter proved to be devoid of clear-cut chances for both sides, though the game sprung into life on 26 minutes.

Vadaine Oliver had the first effort of note, nodding tamely at Craig MacGillivray after latching onto Ben Thompson’s deep cross, whilst Gilbey dragged a left-footed shot wide at the other end.

The lively Blackett-Taylor was a constant menace down the Addicks’ left and he soon unleashed a low drive from range, but his goalbound effort was steered wide by Jack Tucker. 

Gilbey was next to threaten as the midfielder latched onto Scott Fraser’s inswinging centre, though Charlton’s number 11 could only glance a header wide of Pontus Dahlberg’s left upright.

The Addicks were the established force by now and, as half-time loomed, took a deserved lead.

Dahlberg could only palm Blackett-Taylor’s stinging drive as far as the advancing Stockley and while the stopper smothered the forward’s follow-up effort, Gilbey was on hand to calmly stroke the ball home from 14 yards.

The second period started in the same vein with Jackson’s men in the ascendancy as Charlton continued to enjoy the lion’s share of possession.

Washington’s teasing delivery spelled danger for the visitors but, under intense pressure from Stockley, David Tutonda hooked clear.

Stockley was denied again minutes later, this time seeing Max Ehmer steal the ball off his header following Gilbey’s hooked ball.

A constant thorn in the Gills’ defence, Blackett-Taylor’s pullback found Gilbey in a promising position, only for Conor Masterson to charge down the midfielder’s effort.

Masterson blazed a half-volley over moments before stoppage-time as Neil Harris’ side sought parity, though the Addicks remained in control throughout to ensure a return to winning ways.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Lavelle, Purrington; Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Fraser (Lee 66), Blackett-Taylor (Pearce 88); Stockley (c), Washington

Subs (not used): Harness, Gunter, Jaiyesimi, Leko, Burstow

Goal: Gilbey 40

Booked: Gilbey 32 (foul on Kelman), Stockley 82 (foul on Ehmer)

Gillingham: Dahlberg; Tucker, Ehmer, Masterson; McKenzie (Lintott 59), Thompson, O’Keefe (c), Lee, Tutonda (Dickson-Peters 81); Oliver, Kelman

Subs (not used): Chapman, Maghoma, Akehurst, Chambers

Booked: O’Keefe 86 (foul on Clare)

Referee: Will Finnie

Attendance: 9,728 (1,559 from Gillingham) 

Read Time: 3 mins