MATCH REPORT | Cambridge United 0 Charlton 2

Charlton stretched their unbeaten record on the road to four games with a 2-0 triumph over Cambridge United at the Abbey Stadium.

The Addicks’ dominant second period finally bore fruit on 73 minutes when Corey Blackett-Taylor’s shot deflected in off U’s midfielder Ben Worman, before Conor Washington settled the outcome 10 minutes from time as Chuks Aneke’s goalbound effort struck the Northern Ireland international on the head and flew past Will Mannion.

Johnnie Jackson made one change for the Cambridgeshire clash, restoring Washington to his starting line-up as Mason Burstow was named among the Addicks’ substitutes bench.

After a nondescript opening 10 minutes, Blackett-Taylor used his blistering pace to craft the game’s first real chance. The left wing-back drove to the byline to tee up Washington, who swivelled and shot but saw his attempt blocked by Lloyd Jones at close quarters.

The hosts threatened through winger Jack Lankester, who saw a low drive deflect off Sean Clare and whistle past Craig MacGillivray’s left upright, before Charlton enjoyed another flurry of openings.

First, Blackett-Taylor was denied by Will Mannion after latching onto Alex Gilbey’s incisive through ball, before Jason Pearce nodded Albie Morgan’s resulting corner wide at the back post.

At the other end, Hoolahan and Lankester worked a short set-piece routine for the latter to fashion an opening for Worman, though the midfielder blazed high and wide.

On the stroke of half-time, Morgan found Washington racing in behind the U’s backline with an exquisite ball forward and having taken a superb first touch, the Northern Irishman shot tamely at Mannion on his left foot.

Blackett-Taylor carved out another opening soon after the restart as he crossed for Gilbey on the edge of the 18-yard box, but the midfielder’s half-volley failed to trouble Mannion in the U’s goal.

Minutes later, Washington stood up an inch-perfect centre for strike partner Stockley, only for Charlton’s top scorer to head agonisingly wide. 

Washington was again involved with 71 minutes played as he drove into the hosts’ penalty box from wide left, before being foiled by Mannion.

The Addicks’ opener duly arrived moments later, though, and, unsurprisingly, Blackett-Taylor was the architect. 

Having been played through by Morgan, the wideman saw his effort nestle in the back of Mannion’s net, undoubtedly aided by a deflection off Worman. 

Pearce made a crucial intervention to spare MacGillivray’s blushes after the Scotsman spilled Worman’s drive from range, hooking the ball clear with substitute Harvey Knibbs in hot pursuit.

And the Addicks notched an all-important second just four minutes later. Clare picked the pocket of Hoolahan in the attacking third and fed substitute Aneke, whose goalbound strike deflected off the head of Washington and flew over a helpless Mannion. 

Cambridge United: Mannion; Bennett, Okedina, Jones (c), Iredale; O’Neil (Digby 59), Worman; Tracey (Knibbs 68), Hoolahan, Lankester (Ironside 68); Smith

Subs (not used): Mitov, Williams, Simper, Yearn

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Pearce (c), Famewo; Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor (Jaiyesimi 86); Stockley (Aneke 77), Washington

Subs (not used): Harness, Elerewe, Forster-Caskey, Leko, Burstow

Goals: Worman (og), Washington 80

Booked: Dobson 35 (foul on Tracey), Washington 61 (foul on Lankester)

Referee: Paul Howard

Attendance: 5,409 (1,034 from Charlton)

Read Time: 3 mins