Cheltenham Town
V Charlton Athletic
Completely-Suzuki Stadium
Cheltenham Town
Charlton Athletic
Kick off

Cheltenham Town 2 Charlton 2

The Addicks finished the 2022/23 season in 10th place in League One following a 2-2 draw at Cheltenham Town.

Scott Fraser and Jack Payne both put Charlton in front but Aidan Keena and Alfie May each equalised for the home side to secure a draw in a game full of chances.

Dean Holden made two changes from the side that beat Port Vale at The Valley last weekend. Mandela Egbo and Aaron Henry came into the starting XI as the boss named a squad that included 11 academy graduates. Sean Clare missed out with an ankle injury and George Dobson, one booking away from a multi-game suspension, was not risked.

After a few early corners from Cheltenham, the Addicks took control of the game with midfielders Henry and Albie Morgan both clearing the bar with shots from outside the area.

Egbo came closer, cutting inside onto his left foot and forcing goalkeeper Luke Southwood to palm a shot behind for a corner. From the resulting corner, Tyreece Campbell headed wide from close range.

Rak-Sakyi was next to come close, getting on the end of a lovely passing move but his shot from close range hit defender Caleb Taylor and deflected just over the crossbar.

The Addicks deserved their lead when it came in the 34th minute. Terell Thomas broke the lines with a clever pass from defence, finding Morgan on the turn. The 23-year-old passed into the path of Campbell whose shot deflected through to Fraser. The midfielder controlled well and rounded Southwood before finishing cooly for his ninth goal of the season.

Charlton could - and maybe should - have made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time. Fraser’s pass for Rak-Sakyi was perfect to release the club’s Player of the Year. The winger controlled well and cut inside, but Southwood was able to smother his shot. The Addicks had a call for a penalty as Southwood appeared to bring down Rak-Sakyi after the save but nothing was given.

Rak-Sakyi had another penalty appeal turned away early in the second half and four minutes after the break the home side equalised. May cut in from the left and although his shot was well saved by Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Keena was fastest to react to the rebound and was able to pass into the net.

Michael Hector headed just wide from a corner as the Addicks looked to regain their lead. Campbell then did excellently, chasing a loose ball, getting to the byline and cutting back for Fraser, whose shot was palmed away by the busy Southwood.

Maynard-Brewer was called into action and made a brilliant save, rushing off his line to deny May.

The Addicks re-took the lead with seven minutes to go when substitute Payne dispossessed Elliot Bonds deep in the Cheltenham half, advanced and calmly rolled a right-footed shot under Southwood.

May scored the home side’s second equaliser three minutes from time, cutting back on to his left foot and finding the bottom corner of the goal as the points were shared at the Completely-Suzuki Stadium.

Cheltenham Town: Southwood, Long (c), Freestone (Raglan 81), Sercombe, May (Wilcox 88), Taylor, Ferry, Jackson, Bonds, Keena (Brown 88), Broom

Subs (not used): MacDonald, Williams, Bradbury, Brown

Goals: Keena 49, May 88

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Egbo (Asiimwe 74), Hector (c), Thomas, Sessegnon (Roddy 85); Morgan, Henry (Payne 74), Fraser; Rak-Sakyi (Mitchell 87), Leaburn, Campbell (Rylah 85)

Subs (not used): Wollacott, Kanu

Goals: Fraser 34, Payne 83

Referee: T Nield

Attendance: 5,336 (936 from Charlton)