Wycombe Wanderers
V Charlton Athletic
Adams Park
Wycombe Wanderers
Charlton Athletic
Kick off

Ben Garner’s Addicks fought back from a goal behind to secure an important point at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday afternoon.

The outstanding Jes Rak-Sakyi equalised for Charlton two minutes after Anis Mehmeti had put the home side in the lead.

It was a well-earned away point against a Wycombe side that made the play-offs last season, taking six points off the Addicks in the process.

The Addicks were unchanged from the side’s previous league game, a 1-1 draw against Cambridge United at The Valley last Saturday, with Garner setting his side up in his preferred 4-3-3 formation.

After a good start, the Addicks created their first clear-cut chance in the 12th minute with a smart short-corner routine. The ball came to Sean Clare on the edge of the area and he played in Rak-Sakyi. The forward swivelled nicely but his shot, on the turn, went just wide of the goal.

The game opened up and Wycombe took the lead a minute later through the in-form Mehmeti. The 21-year-old smashed home a first-time shot from a Garath McCleary cross for his second goal of the season.

The Addicks struck right back with Rak-Sakyi scoring two minutes after the Wycombe opener. Charlie Kirk crossed from the left and the ball fell at the feet of the loanee, who faked a shot with his stronger left foot, cut onto his right foot and scored with a high and powerful shot to beat Wycombe goalkeeper Max Stryjek and two diving home defenders to the delight of the 1,638 Charlton fans behind the goal.

In what was an open first 20 minutes, Joe Wollacott then made a crucial double save to deny first Lewis Wing and then McCleary to keep the score at 1-1.

The home side continued to put pressure on but the Addicks were still causing problems and Jayden Stockley headed just wide from a Kirk cross before a late first-half scramble culminated with Clare dragging a shot wide.

The Addicks came out well after half-time and Stockley saw an early second-half header go just past the post. At the other end, Mehmeti, looking for his second, forced Wollacott into a good tipped save.

Rak-Sakyi continued to cause Wycombe skipper Joe Jacobson no end of headaches. The 19-year-old got in behind the left-back with an excellent first touch from a George Dobson pass. After getting to the byline, his cut-back was struck goalwards by Scott Fraser but the effort was well blocked by Wycombe’s Alfie Mawson.

After some more incredible skill by Rak-Sakyi to turn defence into attack, Jacobson was  replaced by Jason McCarthy.

Both sides worked hard in the hot sun for a winner, though neither were able to claim one in an even match between two good sides.

Wycombe Wanderers: Stryjek, Grimmer, Jacobson (c) (McCarthy 73), Gape (Horgan 74), Forino, Wheeler (Freeman 59), Wing, Mehmeti (Al-Hamadi 78), McCleary, Mawson, Scowen

Subs (not used): Dickinson, Tafazolli, Pattenden

Booked: Scowen 6 (foul on Clare), Mawson 43 (dissent), Gape 45+2 (foul on Morgan), McCleary 90+1 (dissent)

Goal: Mehmeti 13

Charlton: Wollacott; Clare, Inniss (Lavelle 74), O’Connell, Clayden ; Morgan (Payne 78), Dobson, Fraser; Rak-Sakyi, Stockley (c), Kirk (Leaburn 86)
Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Ness, Henry, Jaiyesimi

Goal: Rak-Sakyi 15

Booked: Garner 29 (dissent), Clare 34 (dissent), Rak-Sakyi 36 (preventing a quick throw), Leaburn 90+6 (foul on Al-Hamadi)

Referee: David Rock

Attendance: 6,139 (1,638 from Charlton)