Charlton Athletic V
Cambridge United
The Valley
Charlton Athletic
Cambridge United
Kick off

Charlton 1 Cambridge United 1

Charlton extended their unbeaten home record by picking up a point against Cambridge United in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

Scott Fraser had nodded the Addicks in front shortly before half time but, on the hour mark, the visitors levelled through Harvey Knibbs’ close-range finish.

Charlton pushed for a winner late on but unfortunately it wasn’t forthcoming and they had to settle for a share of the spoils. A point keeps Ben Garner’s side sixth in the league table.  

In terms of team news, the boss only made one change to the XI that had thumped Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday night, with Ryan Inniss coming in for Sam Lavelle at the back.

Both sides carved out headed opportunities in the opening couple of minutes and the Addicks then went close again when Albie Morgan forced U’s goalkeeper Dimitar Mitov to tip his 25-yard free-kick wide.

On 24 minutes, Jayden Stockley could only steer a decent opening wide having been slipped through by the influential Morgan and, at the other end, defender Eoghan O’Connell was well placed to divert a James Brophy cross to safety.

The hosts dominated the first-half possession statistics, boasting over 70 per cent at some stages, and on 41 minutes they got their reward.

Charlie Kirk’s angled cross glanced off the head of a U’s defender and landed at the feet of Stockley. His close-range effort was well saved by Mitov but the loose ball landed perfectly on the head of Fraser, who made no mistake with his finish.

It was a well-deserved goal for the Scottish midfielder, who had shown a flurry of nice touches in the first period and it ensured his side took a one-goal lead into the break.

That lead was wiped out on the hour mark, however. Addicks stopper Joe Wollacott made a fantastic initial save to keep out a Sam Smith header from close range but the ball eventually dropped for Knibbs, who tucked home from a couple of yards out.

The leveller knocked the Addicks out of their stride and, for the next few minutes, the visitors enjoyed the better of the play, without creating any more chances.

Garner introduced Miles Leaburn and Jack Payne on 72 minutes and the double change almost did the trick immediately, though neither of them were involved in the chance that followed.

Fellow substitute Corey Blackett-Taylor got to the byline and hooked a cross into the box that captain Jayden thumped narrowly wide on the volley.

Cambridge, to their credit, had defended valiantly all afternoon and they would eventually head home with a point. They had to see out six minutes of stoppage time and in that time Aaron Henry and Leaburn both aimed efforts at goal but neither were able to find the net.

Charlton: Wollacott; Clare, Inniss, O’Connell, Claydenl Fraser (Payne 72), Dobson, Morgan; Rak-Sakyi (Blackett-Taylor 62; Henry 81), Stockley (c), Kirk (Leaburn 72)
Subs (not used):
MacGillivray, Lavelle, Chin
Fraser 41
Clayden 64 (foul on Tracey), Clare 67 (foul on Brophy)

Cambridge United: Mitov; Williams, Jones, Okedina, Dunk; May, Digby; Tracey (Ironside 86), Knibbs (Lankester 90+6), Brophy; Smith
Subs (not used):
Mannion, Rossi, Haunstrup, O’Neil, Janneh
Knibbs 60
Okedina 6 (foul on Clare), Tracey 64 (dissent)
Carl Brook
12,644 (792 from Cambridge)