Addicks draw with Peterborough in Holden's first game

Lavelle battles for the ball

Charlton 1 Peterborough United 1

Dean Holden began his reign as Charlton manager with a 1-1 draw at home to Peterborough United at The Valley.

The Addicks took an early second-half lead through Miles Leaburn and had two big chances to win the game either side of Jonson Clarke-Harris’ leveller. Despite a strong second-half showing from the Addicks, the draw was probably a fair result given the visitors themselves hit the crossbar twice and found Ashley Maynard-Brewer in inspired form.

In his first game in charge Holden handed a full league debut to Daniel Kanu, as he made two changes from the side that progressed past Brighton & Hove Albion in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. The Addicks lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Sean Clare returning from suspension to operate at right wing-back and Kanu joining Leaburn in a front two.

Charlton’s first look at goal came in the fifth minute when Scott Fraser had a shot from just outside the area which went just wide of the visitors goal.

The sides went in level at 0-0 at the half-time break and Charlton had Maynard-Brewer to thank for that. The Australian stopper pulled off an incredible double save to first block at the feet of Kwame Poku, before getting to his feet quickly to smother Joe Ward’s follow-up effort.

The closest the Addicks came to a first half goal was a wonderfully curled free-kick from Fraser, which went just wide of goal.

Charlton began the second half very well and the Addicks took the lead when Kanu picked up a loose ball on the left wing after good pressing from the home side. The academy graduate's left-footed cross was perfect for Leaburn, who got in front of his man at the front post and guided his header across goal and into the net.

The Addicks pressure continued and Leaburn was denied a wondergoal when he danced through the Peterborough defence but his effort was smothered by goalkeeper Will Blackmore.

Charlton could have gone two up in the 53rd minute in an excellent counter attack from a Peterborough corner. Jack Payne played in Clare who collected the ball just inside the opposition half to break through one-on-one. He managed the keep the chasing defenders at bay as he closed in on goal but his shot struck the post and bounced away to safety.

Posh levelled when Clarke-Harris headed home a deep corner at the back post in the 66th minute.

The Addicks had a big chance to win the game with 12 minutes remaining. Leaburn got on the end of a Jayden Stockley flick-on. The 19-year-old squared to Jes Rak-Sakyi who had time but placed his shot just wide of goal.

At the other end Peterborough were still a threat and hit the crossbar twice but neither side were able to find a winner as the two teams shared the points.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Inniss, Lavelle, Ness; Clare, Dobson (c), Payne (Rak-Sakyi 74), Fraser (Henry 74), Sessegnon; Kanu (Stockley 74), Leaburn (Kirk 82)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Mitchell, Blackett-Taylor

Goal: Leaburn 49

Assist: Kanu 49

Booked: Dobson 44 (handball)

Peterborough United: Blackmore, Watts, Edwards, Kent, Fuchs (Kyprianou 71), Taylor, Clarke-Harris (c), Mason-Clark (Jones 71), Poku (Taylor 89), Burrows, Ward

Subs (not used): Bergstrom, Butler, Knight, Thompson

Goal: Clarke-Harris 66

Assist: Ward 66

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 13,816 (385 from Peterborough)

Read Time: 3 mins