Addicks draw with Wycombe

Tyreece Campbell challenges for the ball

Charlton 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1

Miles Leaburn netted his third goal in as many games but the Addicks were felled by a late Wycombe equaliser in a physical game at The Valley.

Charlton had the better of the match and were applauded off the pitch by the home faithful but were left frustrated by Chris Forino’s 82nd minute leveler.

Leaburn’s goal was the tenth of a very impressive debut season for the academy starlet and fittingly was set up by fellow academy graduate, Albie Morgan, on the club’s annual matchday celebrating the contribution of the academy and Valley Gold.

Dean Holden opted for just one change from the side that beat Cambridge United 2-1 last weekend, as the Addicks began in a 4-3-3 formation, with Steven Sessegnon coming in at left back in place of Terell Thomas, away on international duty with St Lucia.

There was a very early scare for the Addicks, when David Wheeler, at the back post, headed Joe Jacobson’s deep cross narrowly wide of goal in the second minute.

After some half chances the dangerous Tyreece Campbell created the Addicks first shot at goal when he got to the byline and cut back for Morgan. The midfielder couldn’t quite sort his feet out, and shot wide.

Charlton took the lead a minute later with Morgan the provider. The 23-year-old broke into the Wycombe penalty area and saw his first shot blocked, he got to the second ball and drilled across goal where Leaburn was on hand to adjust his body smartly and tap in at the back post.

Charlton players celebrate Leaburn's opener

The Addicks pressure continued and Jes Rak-Sakyi played in Sean Clare down the right wing, Leaburn beat his defender to Clare’s cross but goalkeeper Max Stryjek smothered behind for a corner.

Charlton led at the break, with Ashley Maynard-Brewer getting down well to keep out an acrobatic effort from Chem Campbell, the visitors best chance.

The Addicks started the second half brightly with Morgan releasing Rak-Sakyi, the winger cut inside and his venomous shot was palmed just wide by Stryjek.

Morgan set up Rak-Sakyi again and this time Stryjek was out quickly to keep out the winger.

Rak-Sakyi then returned the favour, playing in Morgan and his powerful shot was fumbled away by the busy Wycombe stopper.

The visitors' threat in the second half was limited until the final minutes. Maynard-Brewer made a superb finger-tip save to keep out Nick Freeman's smart shot but from the resulting corner Forino powered a header home to level the scores.

Holden’s side kept going and Scott Fraser shot wide from a Leaburn pass in the 90th minute and Leaburn then headed narrowly wide from a Rak-Sakyi cross. 

Charlton weren’t able to find a winner and the result means the Addicks are now unbeaten in four ahead of the visit of Shrewsbury Town next week.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare, Inniss, Hector, Sessegnon; Morgan, Dobson (c), Fraser; Rak-Sakyi, Leaburn, Campbell

Subs (not used): Harness, Mitchell, Henry, Kilkenny, Payne, Bonne, Kanu

Goal: Leaburn 16

Assist: Morgan 16

Booked: Clare 43 (foul on Campbell), Hector 44 (foul on Hanlan), Leaburn 64 (push on Tafozolli), Morgan 78 (push on Jacobson), Dobson 90+7 (delaying the game)

Wycombe Wanderers: Stryjek, Grimmer, Jacobson (c), Forino, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Wing, Hanlan, Campbell (Willis 90+5), Scowen, De Barr (Freeman 67)

Subs (not used): Cartwright, Young, McCarthy, Pattenden, Ward

Goal: Forino 82

Assist: Jacobson 82

Booked: Tafazolli 86 (foul on Leaburn), Scowen 90+7 (foul on Rak-Sakyi), Rimmer 90+8 (foul on Sessegnon)

Referee: S Oldham

Attendance: 15,278 (1,171 from Wycombe)

Read Time: 3 mins