Addicks finish pre-season with 3-2 loss to Aberdeen

Camara advances with the ball

Charlton 2 Aberdeen 3

Charlton responded well to a clinical first-half performance by Aberdeen at The Valley in the Addicks’ final pre-season game before the 2023/24 campaign kicks off next Saturday.

The Dons showed why they’ll be playing in European competition this season, scoring three goals in an impressive first half but Charlton fought back in an improved second half with the visitors earning a 3-2 victory.

Dean Holden made four changes from the side that played so well against Millwall in midweek with Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Lloyd Jones, Michael Hector and Panutche Camará coming into the starting line-up as the Addicks continued in a 3-5-2 formation.

It was a difficult start for Charlton, with Nathan Asiimwe heading into his own goal in the third minute as, at the back post, under pressure, he struggled to deal with a devilish cross from Aberdeen’s right by Dante Polvara.

Maynard-Brewer kept it at 1-0, rushing off his line with speed and making himself big to deny Bojan Miovski but the visitors pressure would pay and Graeme Shinnie flicked in, with a smart finish, converting a low cross from Duk in the 22nd minute.

Miovski missed the chance to score his second seven minutes later, striking the post from the penalty spot after Hector had brought down Polvaria.

Maynard-Brewer made another excellent save to keep out Polvaria’s powerful header on the half-hour mark, with Hector heading the follow-up off the line.

It was 3-0 three minutes later, Miovski sliding in to finish Shayden Morris’ cross from the Aberdeen right.

The Addicks were able to regain some composure as the half ended and Camará’s shot at goal early in the second half came at the end of an improved passing move.

It wasn’t all Charlton in the second half though with Maynard-Brewer at his best again to keep out Or Dadia.

The Addicks pulled a goal back when Tyreece Campbell, who looked dangerous after his introduction in the 62nd minute, drilled across goal and Blackett-Taylor slid in at the back post to tap home.

The creative Campbell then forced a save from Roos while Maynard-Brewer’s impressive shot stopping continued with a double save to keep out first Leighton Clarkson and then Ester Sokler.

Charlton nearly had a second goal with nine minutes to go but Dons’ goalkeeper Kelle Roos, got just enough behind Alfie May’s powerful strike to keep the ball out of his net. Blackett-Taylor then cut inside two Aberdeen defenders but his shot was just wide of goal.

The Addicks' second came just before the final whistle, substitute Jack Payne found Daniel Kanu in space. The striker controlled well, and his shot was too powerful for both Roos and a Dons' defender on the line. 

Dean Holden's side now have a full week of training ahead of the visit of Leyton Orient in the season-opener next Saturday. 

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Jones (Thomas 62), Hector, Ness; Asiimwe, Camará (Anderson 62), Dobson (c) (McGrandles 78), Fraser (Payne 78), Blackett-Taylor; May (Kanu 84), Kirk (Campbell 62)

Subs (not used): Isted, Jaiyesimi, Henry, Egbo, Mitchell, Chin

Goals: Blackett-Taylor 69, Kanu 89

Assists: Campbell 69, Payne 89

Referee: Gavin Ward

Attendance: 5,174 (1,613 away)

Read Time: 3 mins