Addicks lose chance-filled game at Peterborough


Peterborough United 1 Charlton 0

Charlton huffed and puffed in an action-packed second half but weren’t able to find the net, falling to their first league defeat of the season away to Peterborough United.

With seven players out injured Dean Holden made two changes from the side that beat Leyton Orient last week with Panutche Camará making his first Charlton start and Jack Payne coming into the side.

In a feisty first half seven yellow cards were shown by referee Lee Swabey and while both teams had chances it was the home side that went into the break with the lead, scoring in stoppage time.

The goal when it came was well taken by Hector Kyprianou finding himself in space from a Joel Randall pass after Peterborough had won the ball back in the Charlton half.

The Addicks best first half chances were headed efforts, with Terell Thomas and Lucas Ness clearing the crossbar and Camará forcing a parried save out of Posh goalkeeper Nicholas Bilokapic.

Charlton were able to cause additional problems in the second half as Holden’s side took control of the game and managed to get Corey Blackett-Taylor onto the ball more often.

Alfie May’s shot from just outside the area in the first minute of the half hit the side netting and showed the visitors attacking intent.

Cutting inside from the left the dangerous Blackett-Taylor drilled over in the 52nd minute and then just wide of goal in the 72nd minute. He curled an effort inches wide of the post with three minutes to go, again cutting in, onto his right foot.

Some more nice Charlton play down the left created maybe the Addicks best chance of the game, Camará released May in behind the Peterborough defence but his shot was close to Bilokapic who smothered to safety.

Peterborough were able to hold on, with Jonson Clarke-Harris hitting the post in stoppage time the closest the home side came to a goal in the second half.

Peterborough United: Bilokapic, Burrows (c) (De Havilland 86), Edwards, Crichlow, Clarke-Harris, Poku (Tomlinson 86), Randall (Knight 77), Jones (Fuchs 69, Tshimanga 86), Kyprianou, Collins, Kioso

Subs (not used): Blackmore, Ajiboye

Goal: Kyprianou 45+1

Assist: Randall 45+1

Booked: Collins 26 (foul on Anderson), Burrowes 31 (foul on Asiimwe), Ferguson 32 (dissent), Randall 51 (foul on Anderson), Clarke-Harris 86 (foul on Edun), Bilokapic 90+7 (timewasting)

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Jones, Ness, Thomas (Edun 69); Asiimwe, Anderson (Kanu 82), Dobson (c), Camará, Blackett-Taylor; Payne (Kirk 82), May

Subs (not used): Isted, Hector, Mitchell, McGrandles

Booked: Dobson 12 (foul on Collins) May 25 (timewasting), Payne 27 (foul on Randall), Jones 31 (foul on Jones), Edun 90 (foul on Kioso), Holden 90 (dissent)

Referee: Lee Swabey

Attendance: 9,100 (1,904 from Charlton)

Read Time: 3 mins