Charlton fight back in thrilling draw

Corey Blackett-Taylor celebrates

Charlton 2 Blackpool 2

Michael Appleton has said he doesn’t want his team to be considered a soft touch and for the second time in a week they fought back, after conceding first, to keep their unbeaten streak going - which now stands at six games.

Charlton fans would have been forgiven for thinking the game was over when Karamoko Dembele gave Blackpool a 2-0 lead in the 70th minute, against the run of play, after a spell of intense pressure from Charlton.

Appleton’s side showed the grit that has been on display in recent weeks, including Tuesday's 4-1 against Exeter City, and fought back with goals in the 81st and 83rd minute. Indeed, the Addicks looked the likelier team to find a winner if the game had gone on another 10 minutes.

Charlton controlled the opening half hour of the match, dominating possession as they looked to find a way through a well-organised Blackpool defence.

Alfie May came closest to scoring an opener when he played a neat one-two with George Dobson to advance into the box and his low shot was well blocked behind by defender Oliver Casey.

After soaking up the pressure, the visitors made their chance count. James Husband got in on Blackpool’s left and pulled back for the prolific Jordan Rhodes who didn’t catch his shot perfectly but did enough to find the net.

Charlton’s possession continued in the early minutes of the second half although Blackpool’s Sonny Carey forced a good save from Ashley Maynard-Brewer with a powerful strike from distance which the Australian pushed onto his crossbar.

The changes came for Charlton and made an immediate impact with the Blackpool goal under repeated threat in a 15-minute spell. Louis Watson played a one-two with Corey Blackett-Taylor but couldn’t quite direct his shot at goal.

Then impactful sub Chuks Aneke found Blackett-Taylor who cut inside onto his stronger right foot and fired a shot just wide of the post. Alfie May then set up Tyreece Campbell who blasted narrowly over before May’s wonder volley dipped just over the crossbar.

All the chances made Blackpool’s second tough to take. Dembele robbed Michael Hector to go through on goal and made no mistake with a clinical finish past the onrushing Maynard-Brewer.

The Addicks fought on and scored two goals in two minutes to level the scores. The first was outstanding play by Aneke to beat his defender to the ball, advance and then calmly chip into the path of May to power home.

Charlton’s second was spectacular, Hector found the dangerous Campbell who fed Blackett-Taylor on the left wing. The 26-year-old cut inside onto his right foot and from 20 yards curled and unsavable shot into the top corner of the Blackpool goal to the delight of those in the Covered End.

Michael Appleton’s side pushed for a winner and Scott Fraser’s long-range effort in the first minute of stoppage time, looked destined for goal but was excellently tipped over the crossbar by Blackpool goalkeeper Daniel Grimshaw as the visitors were able to hold on for a point.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T Watson (Asimmwe 54), Hector, Jones (Ness 64), Thomas; L Watson (Fraser 63), Dobson (C); Tedić (T Campbell 54), May, Blackett-Taylor; Leaburn (Aneke 64)

Subs (not used): Molyneux, C.Campbell

Goals: May 81, Blackett-Taylor 83

Assists: Aneke 81, T Campbell 83

Booked: Tedić 17 (foul on Carey), T Campbell 68 (altercation with Husband)

Blackpool: Grimshaw, Husband, Pennington, Norburn (C), Carey (Morgan 77), Dougall, Rhodes (Kouassi 90+3), Lavery (Dembele 66), Casey, Hamilton, Thompson (Connolly 76)

Subs (not used): O’Donnell, Weir, Ekpiteta

Goals: Rhodes 34, Dembele 70

Assist: Husband 34

Booked: Thompson 45 (timewasting), Husband 68 (altercation with T Campbell), Pennington 76 (timewasting)

Referee: A Davies

Attendance: 13,120 (933 from Blackpool)

Read Time: 4 mins