Early goal as Sheffield Wednesday beat Charlton

Sean Clare battles for the ball

Charlton 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Top-of-the-table Sheffield Wednesday beat Charlton 1-0 at The Valley despite a strong second-half showing from Dean Holden’s side.

The Owls, now unbeaten in a club-record 20 league games, created the better chances in the first half taking the lead through Liam Palmer’s ninth-minute goal but a spirited Charlton came out in the second half with purpose but were unable to find a leveller despite plenty of chances.

Holden made three changes to the starting lineup and it was a change of shape for the Addicks who began the game in a 3-4-2-1 with the returning Miles Leaburn leading the line.

Sheffield Wednesday started the stronger and Barry Bannan saw his fourth minute shot bounce back off the post.

The Owls took the lead five minutes later when Palmer, unmarked in the box, made no mistake with a simple chance after a lovely passing move from the visitors.

Palmer could and maybe should have had a second but drove a 22nd-minute shot straight at Ashley Maynard-Brewer, who stood up well to keep out the powerful hit.

The Addicks had a big penalty shout when Leaburn and Aden Flint challenged for a Sean Clare cross in the Wednesday area but referee Benjamin Speedie waved away the Charlton appeal.

In a difficult first half for the Addicks, Lucas Ness made a huge, last-ditch challenge to deny Josh Windass and Maynard-Brewer again stood up to keep out Dominic Iorfa.

Iorfa though was maybe lucky to still be on the pitch when his chance fell, after getting booked in the 41st minute for a physical tackle on Jes Rak-Sakyi which could have easily seen a red card.

The Addicks began the second half with more brightness and energy and Charlton had a huge chance when Sean Clare won the ball high up the pitch and played in Leaburn, the striker controlled well, composed himself but shot just wide of the post.

The change in momentum was highlighted when Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper, Cameron Dawson, picked up a 56th minute booking for timewasting. Substitute Chuks Aneke entered the game a minute later and immediately impacted proceedings. His first shot was gathered by Dawson. Aneke then played in Clare, whose driven shot went just wide.

Corey Blackett-Taylor was next to trouble Dawson, cutting in well from the left wing his powerful right-footed effort was palmed behind for a corner by the Owls’ stopper.

Charlton’s pressure continued and Iorfa made a huge goal-saving tackle to prevent Leaburn putting in a rebound from a Dawson save from an excellent Aneke half-volley.

Unfortunately for the Addicks, the impactful Aneke was stretchered off with nine minutes to go after going down when stretching for a ball in the opposition penalty area.

Charlton continued to chase a goal but despite some late pressure were unable to find the Wednesday net.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Hector, Inniss, Ness; Clare, Dobson (c), Kilkenny (Aneke 57, Payne 81), Fraser, Blackett-Taylor; Rak-Sakyi, Leaburn (Bonne 75)

Subs (not used): Wollacott, Sessegnon, Henry, Morgan

Booked: Blackett-Taylor 31 (foul on Palmer)

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Brown (Adeniran 63), Vaulks, Iorfa, Bannan (c), Windass (Dele-Bashiru 90+1), Byers, Famewo, Smith (Gregory 78), Flint

Subs (not used): Stockdale, Bakinson, Hunt, Alimi-Adetoro

Goal: Palmer 9

Booked: Palmer 19 (foul on Blackett-Taylor), Smith 38 (foul on Maynard-Brewer), Iorfa 41 (foul on Rak-Sakyi), Dawson 56 (timewasting)

Referee: B Speedie

Attendance: 16,729 (3,153 from Sheffield Wednesday)

Read Time: 3 mins