Electric Charlton beat Morecambe 4-1


Charlton 4 Morecambe 1

The Addicks were electric in a dominant 4-1 victory at Morecambe to return to winning ways.

Miles Leaburn scored his eighth of the season, Corey Blackett-Taylor netted twice and Scott Fraser, on his return to the side, found the net as Charlton blew past the home side for an important three points.

Dean Holden made five changes and reverted to a 4-3-3 formation with Fraser and Ryan Inniss returning to the side after short spells on the sidelines, Terell Thomas, Albie Morgan and Tyreece Campbell were also handed starts.

Charlton started the game at a high tempo, pressing well and attacking with speed. Campbell had first sight at goal in the 16th minute but his shot deflected into the grateful arms of Connor Ripley.

Blackett-Taylor was next to threaten, bursting into the box and seeing his shot deflected wide for a corner. From the resulting corner the Addicks took the lead, Morecambe weren’t able to clear the set-piece and Thomas deftly flicked back into the danger area, where Leaburn controlled well on his chest and volleyed home from close range.

The Addicks won another corner from the left four minutes later when Blackett-Taylor forced a low save from Ripley. Again Charlton took full advantage with a well-worked routine, Morgan’s deep corner was met by Inniss who headed back across goal for Blackett-Taylor to bundle in at the back post.

Inniss met another Morgan corner, his header at goal had accuracy but not quite enough power and Ripley saved comfortably.

Charlton continued to dominate and Sean Clare was denied an incredible goal by Ripley after running more than half the length of the pitch with the ball.

The dangerous Blackett-Taylor then cut back for Scott Fraser arriving in the box and the midfielder’s curling effort dipped just over the crossbar.

Blackett-Taylor made it 3-0 just before half-time, arriving at the back post to get on the end of Campbell’s gloriously tempting cross.

Morecambe’s first half chance of the game came moments before the half-time whistle when Daniel Crowley found himself free at the back post from a deep corner but Clare dived in front of the shot to keep the home side at bay.

It was a more even start to the second half and Holden was forced into a substitution when Blackett-Taylor limped off, to be replaced by Jes Rak-Sakyi just before the hour mark.

Morecambe grabbed a goal back, with Crowley feeding full back Donald Love on a swift counter attack that the Addicks maybe could have cleared earlier.

Crowley then curled a shot just wide as the home side chased a second but it would be the Addicks to strike again and this time it was a wonderful team goal. Charlton kept possession nicely with some intricate passing down the right wing before a clever one-two between Rak-Sakyi and Fraser to release the Scotsman. Fraser’s first touch was exemplary and he curled wonderfully past Ripley to make it 4-1.

There was still time for Mandela Egbo to make a return, for the final seven minutes, appearing for the first time since suffering an injury in Charlton’s 4-4 thriller at The Valley in October.

Morecambe: Ripley, Love (c), Gibson, Rawson, Crowley, Hunter, Weir, Niasse, Shaw, Mayor, Simeu

Subs (not used): Smith, Delaney, Stockton, Gnahoua, Watts, Cooney, Austerfield

Goal: Love 61

Assist: Crowley 61

Booked: Weir 51 (foul on Campbell)

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare, Inniss, Hector, Thomas (Egbo 83); Morgan, Dobson (c) (Kanu 76), Fraser (Henry 76); Campbell, Leaburn (Bonne 76), Blackett-Taylor (Rak-Sakyi 56)

Subs (not used): Wollacott, Payne

Goals: Leaburn 17, Blackett-Taylor 21, 43, Fraser 69

Assists: Thomas 17, Inniss 21, Campbell 43, Rak-Sakyi 69

Booked: Thomas 24 (foul on Love), Morgan 74 (foul on Hunter)

Referee: A Haines

Attendance: 3,795

Read Time: 4 mins