Late double sinks the Addicks

Tyreece Campbell

Colchester United 2 Charlton 1

Despite a controlled display by Charlton, Colchester United, buoyed by a penalty save, came back from 1-0 down to beat the Addicks with two late goals in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Charlton controlled much of the game, scoring an excellent goal on the back of a 15-pass move, but the home side came back into the match after a fantastic, 76th-minute double save from Colchester goalkeeper Sam Hornby to deny Jack Payne, initially from the penalty spot and then on a follow-up.

The Addicks began the game in a fluid 4-3-3 formation, with summer signing Terell Thomas making his Charlton debut, more than five years after leaving the club in 2017.

Charlton showed early promise with numerous patient, passing moves resulting in chances for Ben Garner’s side.

The first came in the fifth minute, when a well-structured move saw the ball fall at the feet of Diallang Jaiyesimi who took it past his man and fired a shot at goal, forcing a smart save from Hornby.

Shortly after that another passing move resulted in a Payne shot at goal, though this time Hornby’s save was more straight forward.

Charlton took a 17th minute lead with another passing move. Albie Morgan won the ball and, 38 seconds and 15 passes later, he was calmly putting the ball into the net after a smart one-two with Sean Clare.

The Addicks went into the half-time break 1-0 up, with Hornby saving well to deny Corey Blackett-Taylor and Jake Forster-Caskey curling a free-kick just wide in a dominant first half.

Substitute Tyreece Campbell nearly doubled the Charlton lead early in the second half, curling agonisingly wide from the edge of the Colchester penalty area.

At the other end Beryly Lubala had Colchester’s first real chance, heading over at the back post from a deep cross.

Charlton were denied a second goal by the aforementioned excellent goalkeeping from Hornby. A lovely chipped pass from Morgan found Payne in the box. The skipper for the game turned well in the box and was fouled by Alan Judge.

Payne stepped up to take the penalty, which was hit hard and low to the bottom-left corner of the goal but Hornby made a superb save and was then up quickly to keep out Payne on the follow-up.

Despite the Addicks' dominance, the home side gained momentum and levelled with three minutes to go when Tom Eastman pounced on a loose ball from a corner.

The home side won in stoppage-time, when John Akinde lifted the ball over Nathan Harness on a swift counter-attack to secure three points.

Colchester United: Hornby, Clampin, Dallison, Judge (Ashley 82), Chilvers (Hannant 70), Lubala (Akinde 61), Eastman, Newby, Coxe, Marshall Miranda, Nouble

Subs (not used): O’Hara, Chambers, Longstaff, Kazeem

Goals: Eastman 87, Akinde 90+1

Booked: Lubala 55 (foul on Lavelle), Chilvers 63 (foul on McGrandles)

Charlton: Harness; Clare (Lavelle 46), Ness, Thomas, Chin; Morgan, Forster-Caskey, McGrandles; Payne (Clayden 86), Blackett-Taylor (Kanu 77), Jaiyesimi (Campbell 43)

Subs (not used): Kone, Williams, Casey

Goal: Morgan 17

Booked: Morgan 21, Clare 45+1 (dissent)

Referee: Lee Swabey

Attendance: 880 (259 from Charlton)

Read Time: 3 mins