Late London derby drama as Addicks progress


Charlton 1 Queens Park Rangers 1 (Charlton win 5-3 on penalties)

Charlton booked their place in the second round of the Carabao Cup with a dramatic penalty shootout victory over Queens Park Rangers at The Valley.

Rs substitute Tyler Roberts broke the deadlock with an unstoppable curler 10 minutes from time, only for Aaron Henry to find the top corner at the other end with a venomous half-volley to force a penalty shootout.


After Jayden Stockley converted the first spot-kick, Joe Wollacott denied Stefan Johansen from 12 yards and the Addicks and Eoghan O'Connell secured the Addicks' progression by dispatching the all-important fifth penalty.

Ben Garner made eight changes for the first-round tie, handing full debuts to summer signing Jack Payne and academy graduate Miles Leaburn.

The Addicks started the faster of the two sides and created the first opening after just nine minutes, as Leaburn headed over Sean Clare's centre. 

Leaburn was involved again soon after, this time seeing a goalbound shot charged down by Rob Dickie inside the box before Jake Forster-Caskey's rebound was blocked.  

Charlton continued to edge proceedings as the half wore on, with Forster-Caskey rifling over from range on the stroke of the interval.

Garner introduced academy graduates Lucas Ness and Henry soon after the hour-mark, with Clare and George Dobson making way.

Both bosses continued to ring the changes thereafter and it was an Rs substitute who broke the deadlock. Andre Dozzell regained possession in the attacking third and fed Roberts, who drove to the edge of the 18-yard box before finding the top-right corner with an unstoppable finish.

With seconds of regulation time remaining, Henry produced an unerring finish from the edge of the D,  finding the top corner with a ferocious half-volley to force a penalty shootout in SE7.

Stockley converted the first penalty of the night before Wollacott produced an outstanding stop to deny Rs midfielder Johansen.


Charlie Kirk, Albie Morgan and Henry all dispatched the spot-kicks that followed, leaving O'Connell with the decisive penalty. The Addicks' Vice-Captain made no mistake, guiding the ball past Dieng secure Charlton's passage into the second round.

Round two ties will take place week commencing August 22nd.  

Charlton: Wollacott; Clare (Ness 62), Lavelle, O'Connell (c), Clayden; Gilbey, Dobson (Henry 62), Forster-Caskey (Morgan 75); Jaiyesimi (Stockley 75), Leaburn, Payne (Kirk 74)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Chin, Fraser, Kanu

Goal: Henry 90

Booked: Clare 16 (foul on Hämäläinen)

Penalties: Stockley (scored), Kirk (scored), Morgan (scored), Henry (scored), O'Connell (scored)

QPR: Dieng; Kakay (Drewe 75), Dickie, Dunne, Hämäläinen; Thomas, Field (c) (Johansen 70), Dozzell; Adomah (Shodipo 61), Bonne (Armstrong 61), Chair (Roberts 61)

Subs (not used): Walsh, Masterson, Gubbins, Dykes

Goal: Roberts 80

Booked: Field 35 (foul on Jaiyesimi)

Penalties: Johansen (saved), Roberts (scored), Shodipo (scored), Dozzell (scored)

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Attendance: 5,629 (2,587 from QPR)

Read Time: 3 mins