May opens account as Addicks draw with Orient


Charlton 1 Leyton Orient 1

Alfie May scored his first Charlton goal in his first appearance as the Addicks drew 1-1 in Friday morning’s pre-season game against Leyton Orient in Spain.

Dean Holden got important minutes into the legs of 21 of his players in a game that lasted two hours, split in to four 30-minute quarters.

For May, who joined from Cheltenham Town last Friday, it was the perfect start in an impressive 45-minute appearance, where he showed the touch and industry that made him one of Holden’s top summer targets.  

Equally impressive was the large amount of Charlton fans who travelled to Marbella for the game and Thursday’s open training session. More than 180 supporters were set to attend and with the gates open to all, it was estimated that more than 200 were in attendance.

It was the Addicks who had the better of the opening minutes of the game and May got his first sight at goal 11 minutes in when his shot, from just outside the penalty area, was comfortably gathered by Orient goalkeeper Sol Brynn.

For the O’s George Moncur’s 30-yard lobbed effort gave Harry Isted a scare but fell just wide of the goal.

The Addicks had a goal ruled out in the 20th minute from an excellent counter attack. Mandela Egbo ran into space down the right wing and rolled the ball across for Charlie Kirk to pass home at the back post but the 25-year-old was adjudged to be in an offside position.

Just before the first break, at 30 minutes, May got his goal. The Addicks made progress down the right with Corey Blackett-Taylor and Scott Fraser involved but it was a deflected ball that fell into the path of May whose shot on the turn found the bottom corner, demonstrating the clinical edge that has seen the striker score at least 20 league goals in each of the last two seasons.

After the break Isted made an excellent low save to deny Jayden Sweeney to keep the Addicks in the lead.

Orient started seeing more of the ball as the second quarter progressed but Kirk hit the side netting after a nice bit of play down the left wing. Terell Thomas found Blackett-Taylor in behind the defence and his pull back found Kirk, whose shot was just narrowly wide of the post.

Richie Wellens’ side equalised at the end of the first half, when Aaron Drinan got in behind the Charlton defence and drove a low shot into the bottom corner.

Both sides made wholesale changes to their line-ups at the 60-minute mark and, like in the first half, it was the Addicks that started more brightly.

Diallang Jaiyesimi got in behind the Orient defence and his poked effort was saved away for a corner. Then Jack Payne skipped into the box and shot just wide of goal with his weaker right foot.

A nice passing move created the Addicks next chance and Richard Chin’s clever back heel found Daniel Kanu whose shot was blocked.

Chin himself then had a great chance but couldn’t quite keep his shot down after he got on the end of a Nathan Asiimwe cross with the goal gaping and the game finished 1-1.

Charlton (first half - 60mins): Isted; Ness, Mitchell, Thomas; Egbo, Henry, Anderson, Fraser (c), Blackett-Taylor; May (Campbell 46), Kirk

Charlton (second half - 60 mins): Isted; Bakrin, Hector, Elerewe; Asiimwe, Dobson (c), Payne, McGrandles, Chin; Jaiyesimi, Campbell (Kanu 90)

Sub (not used): Trialist

Goal: May 29

Booked: Hector 119

Read Time: 3 mins