MK Dons end Addicks' unbeaten home run


Charlton 2 MK Dons 0

Charlton’s unbeaten home run came to an end in a 2-0 loss to MK Dons at The Valley.

The Addicks were frustrated by a number of decisions that went against them, with the turning point the award of a 67th-minute penalty for a debatable foul, that appeared to be outside the area, when the contest was goalless.

Will Grigg converted the resulting spot-kick and with Ryan Inniss, sent off for a second bookable offence in the incident, it was an uphill battle as Charlton chased the game.

Bradley Johnson added a stunning free-kick but again there were question marks around whether the set piece should have been awarded. 

A late penalty shout was turned down for the home side in a frustrating night for Ben Garner's team. 

The Charlton manager had opted for one change from the side that beat Shrewsbury Town 1-0 at the weekend, with Sean Clare coming in at left-back and Steven Sessegnon moving to the bench as Charlton continued in a fluid 4-4-2.

It was a very quiet first half which saw little created at either end until a dangerous MK Dons counter-attack just before the break. Arriving late in space, Grigg saw his shot bounce back off the crossbar and in the same phase of play, Johnson’s curling effort forced an excellent diving save from Joe Wollacott.

At the other end Tyreece Campbell shot into the side netting from a tight angle after a neat pass through by Scott Fraser.

The Addicks created more to start the second half, with Jayden Stockley and substitute Jack Payne just not quite able to get on the end of a Charlie Kirk cross after some lovely passing football.

Jes Rak-Sakyi saw a shot from the edge of the area beaten away by Jamie Cumming before Payne curled just wide of the post.

Nathan Holland forced another good save from Wollacott before a key turning point in the game arrived.

Josh McEachran threaded a lovely through ball to Louie Barry, who was adjudged to have been fouled by Inniss and the defender was promptly dismissed by referee Neil Hair for a second bookable offence.

The decision to give a penalty appeared harsh though, as it looked as though the adjudged foul was committed outside the area. Grigg stepped up and zipped the penalty past Wollacott, who got a glove to the ball.

The second goal was a wonderful free-kick by Johnson into the top corner, although it was a free-kick given for a tackle when it appeared George Dobson had won the ball.

Charlton were again unhappy with the referee when an 83rd-minute penalty appeal was turned down after Rak-Sakyi’s strike hit the arm of Zak Jules.

Despite some late sparks from substitute Chuks Aneke, it wasn't to be for Charlton, ending the Addicks unbeaten five-game run.

Charlton: Wollacott; Egbo, Inniss, O’Connell, Clare; Rak-Sakyi, Dobson (McGrandles 87), Fraser (Morgan 80), Campbell (Payne 46); Stockley (c) (Aneke 73), Kirk (Sessegnon 73)

Subs (not used): MacGillvray, Thomas

Booked: Inniss 54 (foul on Barry)

Sent off: Inniss 65 (second bookable offence - foul on Barry)

MK Dons: Cumming, O’Hora, Lewington (c), Jules; Lawrence (Smith 85), McEachran (Burns 86), Johnson, Harvie; Holland, Grigg (Eisa 79), Barry (Devoy 75)

Subs (not used): Ravizzolli, Tucker, Dennis

Goals: Grigg (pen) 67, Johnson 78

Referee: Neil Hair

Attendance: 12,328 (400 from MK Dons)

Read Time: 3 mins