Morecambe end unbeaten home run

Dobson advances with the ball

Charlton 2 Morecambe 3

Charlton’s four-game unbeaten run at home came an end with a 3-2 loss to Morecambe.

The Addicks had scored nine goals in two emphatic home wins coming into the game and had 19 shots at goal, with six hitting the target, but it was the visitors who came out on top with three well-taken goals.

Charlton weren’t at their best in a scrappy first half but Jes Rak-Sakyi levelled Cole Stockton’s excellent opener on the stroke of half-time. The Morecambe striker struck again in the 57th minute before Jensen Weir doubled the visitors’ lead. Scott Fraser’s 79th minute goal gave Dean Holden's side hope but the Shrimps were able to hold on to secure a vital three points as they battle to stay in League One.

The Addicks began the game in a 4-3-3 formation with Aaron Henry replacing Fraser in the starting line-up the only change from Tuesday’s win at MK Dons.

After an even start, a moment of magic from Stockton put the visitors ahead. The striker pounced on a loose pass and picked out the top corner with a wonderstrike from 35 yards out.

Charlton’s first attempt at goal, came from a deep Aaron Henry corner which Miles Leaburn volleyed wide at the back post.

The Addicks had a 30th minute goal disallowed when Referee David Rock was quick on his whistle after a foul on Henry, which ruled out Jack Payne’s low strike into the bottom corner of the goal.

Charlton’s pressure increased and Michael Hector’s back post header was punched away by Morecambe goalkeeper and skipper Connor Ripley.

After a big miss by Stockton, the Addicks levelled in stoppage time in the first half when Payne smashed across goal and Rak-Sakyi deflected in for his 14th goal of the season.

Charlton started the second half brightly, with Leaburn heading over from Payne’s cross but Morecambe retook the lead when Stockton was first to a ball from Weir.

Weir turned from provider to goalscorer when he was first to a rebound from an excellent Maynard-Brewer save that kept out Stockton.

The Addicks pulled a goal back with 11 minutes remaining when Sean Clare’s driven cross was expertly controlled by substitute Fraser and then placed pass Ripley for the midfielder’s eighth league goal of the season.

Charlton nearly equalised two minutes later when Morgan’s deep corner caused havoc in the Morecambe penalty area and a bundled effort was hacked away off the line by a visiting defender.

The Addicks weren’t able to find a third goal as the Shrimps took the three points.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare, Hector, Thomas, Sessegnon (Kanu 69); Henry (Fraser 61), Dobson (c), Morgan; Rak-Sakyi, Leaburn, Payne (Campbell 61)

Subs (not used): Wollacott, Egbo, Kane, Mitchell

Goals: Rak-Sakyi 45+1, Fraser 79

Assists: Payne 45+1, Clare 79

Booked: Leaburn 34 (push on Souare)

Morecambe: Ripley (c), Gibson, Rawson, Crowley (Taylor 72), Stockton, Gnahoua (Delaney 86), Weir (Niasse 86), Bedeau, Cooney, Austerfield, Souare (Melbourne 52)

Subs (not used): Smith, Hunter, Simeu

Goals: Stockton 8, 57, Weir 64

Assist: Weir 57

Referee: D Rock

Attendance: 13,347 (220 from Morecambe)

Read Time: 3 mins