Payne strikes in stoppage time as Addicks advance

Charlton players celebrate Lavelle's opener

Charlton 2 Brighton & Hove Albion U21 1

Jack Payne struck in stoppage time to see the Addicks through to the knockout stages of the Papa John's Trophy with a 2-1 home win over Brighton & Hove Albion U21s in Charlton's final game in the group stages.

Sam Lavelle's first-half header on the stroke of half time put Ben Garner's side in the driving seat but the young Brighton side came back well in the second half only to lose out to a smart strike from Payne for his third goal of the season.

The win meant the Addicks finished second in the group, with Colchester United taking top spot.

Garner handed a debut to 17-year-old defender Zach Mitchell and Charlton began the game in what looked like a 4-3-3 although the Addicks played much of the game with four in midfield.

Aaron Henry came closest early on for the Addicks curling a free kick just past the post of former Charlton academy player James Beadle.

Beadle had to deny his former teammate again just before the half-time break, the goalkeeper’s pass went straight in to the path of Henry whose precise effort from 35 yards out rolled towards goal but Beadle was just able to recover in time to clear the ball off the line.

At the other end Craig MacGillivray came off his line quickly to deny Cam Peupion and the young striker had another shot blocked wide moments later.

The Addicks broke the deadlock just before the break. Daniel Kanu’s shot was blocked behind for a corner and Lavelle rose highest to head home Jake Forster-Caskey’s excellent whipped cross from the resulting set piece.

Brighton equalised nine minutes into the second half with Todd Miller poking home a cross from the dangerous Peupion.

The visitors gained momentum from the goal and Antef Tsoungui hit the post before Marcus Ifill forced a low save from MacGillivray.

Following a spell of possession from the visitors, Charlton were able to regain control with Beadle saving from Campbell and Kanu’s shot blocked wide.

The Addicks struck in the second minute of stoppage time to qualify for the next round of the competition. Conor McGrandles played a neat one-two with Albie Morgan before chipping the ball out to Jack Payne on the right wing. The midfielder cut inside onto his stronger foot and lashed home the winner.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Mitchell (Thomas 65), Lavelle, Chin; Henry (Morgan 64), McGrandles, Forster-Caskey; Payne (c), Kanu, Campbell (Rylah 81)

Subs (not used): Kone, Dench, Anderson, Casey

Goals: Lavelle 45, Payne 90+2

Booked: Chin 33 (foul on Hinshelwood)

Brighton & Hove Albion U21: Beadle, Ferguson (Wilson 46), Spong (c), Tsoungui, Furlong, Packham (Chouchane 63), Peupion, Miller, Samuels (Baker-Boaitey 78), Barrington (Ifill 63), Hinshelwood

Subs (not used): Cahill, Everitt, Nilsson

Goal: Miller 54

Booked: Hinshelwood 84 (foul on Morgan)

Referee: P Howard

Attendance: 662 (53 from Brighton)

Read Time: 3 mins