Valiant Addicks bow out of Carabao Cup


Manchester United 3 Charlton 0

A first half-strike from Antony and a late Marcus Rashford double was enough to take Manchester United into the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup after a spirited Charlton display at Old Trafford.

The Addicks defended brilliantly for 90 minutes under the lights, but it was a moment of magic from the Brazilian winger who scored from the edge of the box late in the first half.

Rashford then struck twice in stoppage time to book Manchester United’s place in the final four.

Charlton left the field to rapturous applause from the 8,818 travelling Addicks who were vocal throughout.

Manager Dean Holden made just one change to the side that defeated Lincoln City on Saturday, with goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer returning from concussion in place of Craig MacGillivray.

It was a fast start from the home side who threatened down the left with Alejandro Garnacho, whose first big chance came in the ninth minute when the Argentinian cut inside and dragged his shot wide inside the penalty area.

Ryan Inniss then made a goal-saving block in the 12th minute after debutant Kobbie Mainoo found Fred at the edge of the box.

Charlton’s first chance came two minutes later when Albie Morgan’s corner was palmed away by Tom Heaton, but only as far as captain George Dobson who fired straight into the gloves of the Manchester United goalkeeper.

Antony then opened the scoring for the home side in the 21st minute in sublime fashion, cutting in from the right and curling into the far-right hand corner.

The home side were inches away from a second moments later after Fred’s free-kick from 25 yards out came back off the inside of the post, just as the Brazilian began moving towards celebrating.

Albie Morgan then had a similar free-kick miss the post by only a few inches after seemingly taking a slight deflection of the Manchester United wall.

Early in the second half Manchester United thought they had doubled their lead after a beautiful cross field switch from Fred was knocked across the box by Aaron Wan-Bissaka for Anthony Elanga to tap into an empty net, but the latter was well offside.

Holden opted to change things around at the hour-mark, bringing on Eoghan O’Connell for Corey Blackett-Taylor, switching to a back five with Sean Clare and Steven Sessegnon as attacking wing-backs.

Garnacho forced a fine save from Maynard-Brewer on the counter attack after referee Jarred Gillett waved away what seemed to be a certain foul on Jes Rak-Sakyi. The Argentinian made space up against Inniss before bending the ball towards the top right-hand corner, bringing Maynard-Brewer’s save.

Maynard-Brewer produced the save of the game shortly after as Eriksen shot through a sea of bodies, forcing the keeper to get down low to his left and parry wide.

Substitute Rashford then scored in the 90th minute, completing a rapid Manchester United counter-attack as he poked home.

The English international then got his second in the 94th minute after a lovely Casemiro through ball caught out the Addicks' defence, leaving Rashford to finish one-on-one in front of goal.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare, Inniss, Ness, Sessegnon (Stockley 82); Morgan (Payne 66), Dobson (c), Fraser; Rak-Sakyi (Henry 82), Leaburn, Blackett-Taylor (O’Connell 61)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Lavelle, Chin, Kirk, Jaiyesimi

Manchester United: Heaton; Dalot (Wan-Bissaka 34), Maguire (c), Martinez, Malacia; McTominay, Fred (Eriksen 60); Antony (Rashford 60), Mainoo (Casemiro 60), Elanga (Pellistri 83); Garnacho

Subs (not used): De Gea, Lindelof, Shaw, Iqbal

Goals: Antony 21, Rashford 90, 90+4

Booked: Malacia 76 (foul on Fraser), Maguire 80 (foul on Sessegnon)

Referee: Jarred Gillett

(Article by Billy Wooldridge)

Read Time: 3 mins