REPORT | Charlton 0 Millwall 0

George Jones reports from The Valley

Charlton and Millwall shared the points in Saturday’s south-east London derby at The Valley, drawing 0-0.

In a blood-and-thunder encounter, neither side were able to carve out many clear-cut chances in a first half that saw Charlton lose two players to injury.

The Addicks did ripple the net twice after the break only to see them both disallowed; the second being controversially ruled out by referee Keith Stroud. At the other end, the Lions came close through a glancing Lee Gregory header.

The result keeps Karl Robinson’s men in 11th place in the table and moves them on to 36 points for the campaign.    

In terms of team news, the Manager handed starts to two of his January signings, with Nathan Byrne and Lewis Page beginning the match from the off.

Another change saw fit again Declan Rudd retake his place in goal, following a couple of months out with a hip injury, with the Addicks otherwise lining up as they did against Bristol Rovers last time out.  

In a frantic start to the derby, neither side were able to create a chance on goal until the eighth minute. When it arrived, it fell Millwall’s way.

Gregory latched onto a long ball forward but he was unable to direct a lob on target with Rudd rushing out to meet him.

Charlton were dealt a blow a couple of minutes later when Josh Magennis was forced to come off with an ankle injury, having landed awkwardly on it.

He exited on a stretcher and was replaced by Tony Watt, back after a loan spell at Hearts, who entered the field to a rousing reception.

The Scot got instantly involved, ducking away from Byron Webster to win his side a corner and from that set-piece the Addicks forced the first shot on target when Joe Aribo fired at Jordan Archer from inside the box.

Watt was just unable to connect with a low Chicksen cross on 19 minutes and after the Lions had partially cleared the danger Byrne sent a bobbling strike goalwards that Archer held on to.

As the frantic nature of the match continued, Onydinma was snuffed out inside the box by Adam Chicksen and the Charlton full-back then raced down the other end of the pitch to send in a cross.

Chris Solly got in the way of a Gregory header to concede a corner and, on 25 minutes, Webster glanced a header towards goal that Rudd made an easy save from.

Three minutes later, Charlton were forced into their second substitution of the match. Debutant Page broke down as he tried to turn and was unable to continue. He made way for Chelsea loanee Jay Dasilva.

Like fellow replacement Watt, he made a quick impression. He beat his man and delivered a cross that was headed out as far as Byrne, who forced Archer into a decent save from his volley.

A good chance fell the Addicks’ way on 39 minutes. A great pass from Aribo freed Dasilva on the left but Archer was able to hold his low ball into the box.

The two teams headed in goalless at the break and in the first action of the second half Rudd had to come off his line to beat Gregory to a long ball forward.

Patrick Bauer forced the ball into the Millwall net on 51 minutes, only to see it ruled out for a foul and, at the other end, Gregory fired a tame strike towards the corner that Rudd held on to.

Charlton had another goal ruled out just before the hour mark and in more controversial circumstances. Bauer hooked the ball into the net after Archer had missed his kick down field but the German was adjudged to have impeded the goalkeeper as he released the ball with his hands. Replays showed that there was no contact, however.

At the other end, Millwall substitute Shane Ferguson flashed a shot wide, having got onto Morison’s knockdown, and the latter then had an effort cleared away by Teixeira.

Shaun Hutchinson glanced a Morison cross wide in what was the Lions’ best chance of the game to date on 76 minutes and Teixeira then steered an Aribo free-kick wide of goal for the Addicks.

The game became stretched as it entered the final 10 minutes. Gregory shot wide for Millwall before Webster headed wide from a Worrall corner with seven minutes of normal time remaining.  

Gregory glanced a Williams free-kick wide for the Lions and a Charlton counter attack was then foiled by referee Keith Stroud, who inadvertently tackled the rampaging Byrne.  

Five minutes of stoppage time were indicated but neither side were able to find a winner and the local derby ended all square.

Charlton: Rudd, Solly (c), Teixeira, Bauer, Page (Dasilva 28 (Holmes 81)), Crofts, Konsa, Byrne, Chicksen, Aribo, Magennis (Watt 14).

Subs (not used): Phillips, Johnson, Ulvestad, Forster-Caskey.

Booked: Teixeira 37 (foul on Morison), Watt 52 (foul on Craig), Byrne 85 (foul on Ferguson), Gregory 90 (stamping on Rudd).

Sent off: Teixeira (after the full-time whistle)

Millwall: Archer, Cummings, Hutchinson, Craig (c), Williams, Thompson, Gregory, Onyedinma (Worrall 66), Webster, Morison, O’Brien (Ferguson 66).

Subs (not used): King, Romeo, Butcher, Abdou, Smith.  

Booked: Thompson 32 (foul on Byrne), Williams 44 (foul on Konsa), Webster 77 (foul on Watt)

Referee: K Stroud

Attendance: 15,315 (3,169 from Millwall)
Read Time: 5 mins