REPORT | Charlton 1 Bradford City 1

Tom Rubashow reports from The Valley

Despite a dominant second-half performance Charlton had to settle for a point at home to draw specialists Bradford City on Tuesday evening.

The Addicks huffed and puffed after the break and had numerous point-blank chances but were unable to get the second goal to secure the three points they deserved.

Jorge Teixeira gave Charlton a 35th-minute lead but a Timothee Dieng equaliser eight minutes later was enough to give the Bantams their 18th draw of the season.

The hosts made three changes to the side that drew with Walsall on Saturday with Patrick Bauer, Johnnie Jackson and Lee Novak replacing Nathan Byrne, Ezri Konsa and Joe Aribo.

The team lined up with Declan Rudd between the sticks. Adam Chicksen filled in at right-back alongside centre-backs Teixeira and Bauer with Lewis Page at left back. A diamond midfield had captain Johnnie Jackson protecting the back four with Fredrik Ulvestad and Andrew Crofts ahead of him and Ricky Holmes behind the strikeforce of Tony Watt and Novak.

Bradford were to first to have an attempt on goal when in the third minute Romain Vincelot found himself in space and his long-range shot flew well wide.
With both sides feeling each other out, Charlton’s first chance came after Novak battled hard to win the ball. After some clever passing, the ball came to Watt on the left wing whose low cross was just behind Novak in the box.

The Bradford pressure began to build with left full-back James Meredith causing problems down the wing and in the 28th minute Nathaniel Knight-Percival headed over a decent chance from a Charlie Wyke knock-down.

At the other end, Charlton started to settle into the game. A dangerous cross from Chicksen on the right caused problems and just after the half hour Watt’s lay-off found Novak whose snatched half volley was on target but caused Bradford’s goalkeeper no problems.

The increased pressure told. Holmes won a deep free-kick and his delivery found Bauer at the backpost. The German defender’s knockdown was controlled instantly by Teixeira, who then hooked a right footed volley into the top corner to give the Addicks a 1-0 lead.

The Bradford equaliser came eight minutes later. The dangerous Mark Marshall was allowed onto his right foot inside the Charlton penalty area. His powerful effort was kept out by Rudd but Timothee Dieng was there to poke home the loose ball.

In stoppage time, Charlton nearly took the lead for a second time. A scintillating turn by Watt took him away from his defender and into space. He was able to cut inside onto his right foot and Doyle could only parry away his shot, which was then hacked clear by a Bradford defender.

Charlton came out for the second half with a real hunger and dominated for large parts. Shortly after half time, a Holmes corner caused havoc in the Bradford box and was scrambled behind for another Charlton corner, and that was to set the tone for much of the second period.

Andrew Crofts then came close with what looked like a very ambitious 35-yard half volley that just dipped over the crossbar.

A flurry of corners in the 58th minute produced a couple of goal-mouth scrambles and a minute later Holmes broke down the right and found Novak in the six-yard box but the striker’s effort went just over.

Minutes later, Charlton had maybe their best chance. Novak’s smashed shot from the edge of the area bounced around the away side’s box and fell to Watt who blazed over from close range.

The pressure continued when Bauer, quick in the tackle, found Holmes who played in Ulvestad. The Norwegian turned brilliantly and sent a curling effort just past Doyle’s post.

At the other end it was Marshall causing the most problems but Bradford were seeing very little of the ball.

In the 75th minute Charlton had another fantastic opportunity to take the lead. An in-swinging Holmes free-kick from the left was floated perfectly onto the head of Teixeira whose effort was unfortunately straight at Doyle.

The goal mouth scrambles continued and a late Jackson free-kick dipped just over but there was to be no late winner and Charlton had to settle for a draw - their 17th of the season and Bradford’s 18th. No team in the division have drawn more.   
Charlton: Rudd, Chicksen, Teixeira, Bauer, Page (Dasilva 71), Jackson, Crofts (Konsa 71), Ulvestad, Holmes (Forster-Caskey 90), Novak, Watt

Subs (not used): Phillips, Botaka, Ahearne-Grant, Hanlan

Goal: Teixeira 35

Booked: Holmes 20 (foul on Clarke)
Bradford: Doyle, McMahon, Vincelot, Knight-Percival, McArdle, Meredith, Dieng, Cullen, Clarke (Hiwula 73), Marshall, Wyke

Subs (not used): Sattelmaier, Darby, Toner, Penney, Devine, Hudson

Goal: Dieng 42

Booked: Meredith 56 (foul on Chicksen), McMahon 62 (handball), Knight-Percival 80 (foul on Watt), Vincelot 87 (foul on Holmes)
Referee: J Linington

Attendance: 9,326 (926 from Bradford)
Read Time: 4 mins