U23S REPORT | Coventry City 0 Charlton 1

Olly Groome reports 

Jason Euell’s development squad edged closer to the Professional Development League 2 – South title after sealing a last-gasp victory over Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena on Monday.

In a tight first half with few chances, Dimitar Mitov was the hero when he prevented the hosts from taking an early lead. With a Sky Blues forward through on goal, the Bulgarian stopper stood strong to deny him one-on-one with the striker looking favourite to come out on top.

The Addicks, meanwhile, came closest during the first period with a Dan Bowry header which was nodded just over the bar from a George Lapslie corner.

Charlton stepped things up after the break as they went in search of a vital winner. Matt Carter sent a shot skidding narrowly wide from 20 yards, while Louis Yamfam scuffed a shot past the post under pressure from a home defender.

Triallist defender Jo Cummings came close with a header from another fine Lapslie cross, before Karlan Ahearne-Grant very nearly caught out the Coventry keeper with a low free-kick.

The striker came even closer late on when he fired inches off target, following a neat passing move, and just when it looked like the Addicks would not get the winner their efforts deserved Cummings popped up with the goal in injury time, rising to head Alfie Doughty's right-sided corner into the back of the net.

The result means that Charlton’s U23s hold their fate in their own hands. Eight points clear of Millwall in second, the Lions have two games in hand, but should they slip up in either of those games, the young Addicks will be handed the title.

Euell’s side then take on their south-London rivals in a final-day clash n April 24th, in which a point, if needed, would absolutely guarantee Charlton the crown. 
Charlton U23s: Mitov; Barnes, Bowry, Cummings, Edwards (Willis 87); Lapslie, Dijksteel, Carter (Doughty 70); Ahearne-Grant, Yamfam, Hanlan.

Subs (not used): Beeney, Millar, Fox.
Goal: Cummings 90
Read Time: 2 mins