U23S REPORT | Charlton 4 Queens Park Rangers 5

Charlton’s U23s lost out on an extraordinary afternoon at The Valley as Queens Park Rangers came back from three goals behind to win 5-4 on Monday. 

The Addicks were in complete control at the break having gained themselves a three-goal lead, but collapsed early in the second period as QPR scored three goals in seven minutes to draw level. 

And although the home side got themselves back in front soon after, two more goals from the West Londoners killed Charlton off to round up the nine-goal thriller. 

It was the visitors who saw the first opportunity of the afternoon when first-teamer Grant Hall saw a header cleared off the line by Aaron Barnes from a corner after three minutes. 

But 10 minutes later, the Addicks took the lead courtesy of Terrique Anderson’s third goal in as many games. The nippy striker was played into the box by Jamie Mascoll and he made no mistake with just keeper Joe Lumley to beat, firing confidently into the bottom left corner. 

Image removed.

Rangers began to get a foothold on proceedings and saw plenty of the ball with former Charlton academy graduate Jordan Cousins pulling the strings for the West Londoners in the middle of the park as he continues his comeback from injury. 

The Addicks, however, would stretch their lead to two with 34 minutes on the clock as Mascoll broke down the left and delivered a cross which Hackett-Fairchild converted, cushioning a volley home from eight yards. 

And it got even better for the hosts one minute before the break as Anderson bagged his second of the afternoon to put Charlton well and truly in the driving seat. 

George Lapslie showed great tenacity to power into the box, but saw his initial shot saved and although Hackett-Fairchild could not stick away the initial rebound, Anderson was on hand to gobble up the next one, slamming the ball into the back of the net. 

With the second half underway, it took QPR less than 60 seconds to reduce the deficit as Olaminde Shodipo struck at the back post from a right-wing cross to make it 3-1. 

On 52 minutes, the visitors had the chance to reduce it even more when a shove in the back after a header came back off the crossbar resulted in the referee pointing to the spot and Shodipo was able to score his second, sending his spot-kick down the middle with a ‘Panenka’ chip. 

Incredibly, QPR were level less than minute later when a long ball towards the edge of the box saw Romeo Akinola race onto it and poke past Jordan Beeney to make it 3-3. 

The entertainment was nowhere near finished, however, and Charlton were back in front on 59 minutes after a goalmouth scramble ended with Mascoll eventually sticking the ball away for 4-3. 

Image removed.

But that would not last long with Rangers going straight down the other end to equalise again – a corner landing at the feet of Shodipo at the far post who volleyed into the bottom corner to complete his hat-trick. 

Five minutes later, QPR would take the lead for the first time with Reece Grego-Cox stabbing home after a good move down the left-hand side. 

The Addicks looked to drag themselves back and Anderson saw a shot well saved by Lumley, while Taylor Maloney saw his effort well saved by the stopper, but the home side would ultimately be left frustrated on a topsy-turvy afternoon in SE7. 

Charlton: Beeney, Barnes, Bowry, Blumberg, Page, Maloney, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Mascoll, Anderson, Hackett-Fairchild. 

Subs (not used): O’Neill, Edwards, Cummings, Carter, Yamfam. 

Goal: Anderson 13, 44, Hackett-Fairchild 34, Macoll 59

Booked: Barnes 36 (kicking the ball away)

(Photos: ThomasWestPhotography)

Read Time: 3 mins