PREMIER LEAGUE CUP REPORT | Stoke City 3 Charlton 0

Charlton’s U23s were undone by a resilient Stoke side in the Premier League Cup on Friday night. 

Defender Scott Wara’s rebounded strike and Striker Tyrese Campbell’s brace secured a solid victory for the Potters, giving them their first points in the competition. 

Jason Euell’s side headed into the game off the back of a 1-1 draw with Liverpool at The Valley in their opening group game, but unfortunately his side were overpowered by a clinical Stoke side.

The Addicks’ U23 goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer was called into action from the off, after Tyrese Campbell was denied twice within the first eight minutes of the game. However, the striker finally broke the deadlock on the 10th minute of the match. 

Stoke Captain Lewis Banks played some impressive link up play with Ryan Hill, which set up Banks to run down the touchline and deliver a dangerous right-wing cross, which was headed away by the Addicks defence. However, the danger had not been dealt with fully and Campbell managed to strike the ball into the far corner of the net. 

Another dangerous corner delivered into the box from the Potters was cleared, but only temporarily as the corner was reworked back into the box. Harry Souttar thundered the ball against the crossbar from close range, but Scott Wara was on hand to put away the rebound to give the home side a comfortable 2-0 lead.  

The Addicks were slowly growing into the game and were starting to pick up more possession in midfield. Potters goalkeeper Josef Brusik was called into action late into the first half, as he got down well to save a powerfully-struck deflected low drive to keep the hosts’ clean sheet intact. 

Jamie Mascoll had the best chance to pull a goal back with a driven 20-yard free-kick in the second half, but Bursik was once again at hand to make the save. Taylor Maloney also came close with a free-kick five minutes from time. 

Unfortunately for the Addicks, it was the ever-threatening Campbell who once again stepped up to score Stoke’s third in stoppage time. The striker struck a well-placed free-kick into the top corner of the net, leaving Maynard-Brewer with no chance.

Read Time: 2 mins