MATCH REPORT | Bury 0 Charlton 1

Mark Marshall’s second-half winner saw Charlton make it back-to-back league victories by overcoming Bury at Gigg Lane on Saturday afternoon. 

The Addicks bossed the majority of the contest and were rewarded for their dominance when the winger poked home just after the hour mark.

At the other end, a brilliant defensive shift meant that goalkeeper Ben Amos was rarely tested and the result lifts Charlton back into the Sky Bet League One play-off places.

In terms of team news, Karl Robinson made two changes to the side that started against Oldham Athletic in the Addicks’ last league encounter, with Anfernee Dijksteel and Ben Reeves coming back into the side. 

On the bench, Charlton were only able to name five substitutes due to their lengthy injury list and those replacements included Jake Forster-Caskey and Chris Solly who, despite not being 100 per cent fit, both wanted to make the journey for the squad. 

The first chance of the game fell the way of the Addicks on 11 minutes. Jay Dasilva freed Joe Aribo inside the box and he held off Stephen Dawson before fizzing a low ball across the face of goal that just missed Marshall and Josh Magennis in the middle.

Reeves headed wide from a Dasilva cross 60 seconds later and with a quarter of an hour played Charlton had a great chance to break the deadlock. Mavididi fed the ball into the path of Magennis, he dropped his shoulder to breeze beyond Peter Clarke and then forced Connor Ripley into a good save from his close-range strike. 

James Hanson nodded off target from a Harry Bunn cut-back – in what was the Shakers’ first attempt of the game – but the action would soon return to the other end of the pitch. 

Magennis latched onto a long pass forward but, with just Ripley between him and the net, he was unable to loft the ball over the stopper. 

An important challenge from Nathan Cameron then denied Joe Aribo of a shooting chance when he tried to connect with a low Reeves cross.

Ripley held a dipping Reeves strike on 30 minutes and a couple of minutes later the Addicks came within the width of the post of taking the lead. Reeves whipped in a dangerous centre and it flicked off the head of Cameron before smacking the upright and bouncing away. 

That proved to be Charlton’s final opening of the first period and once play restarted they came close again with 50 minutes played. 

Mavididi found the run of Aribo inside the box but he was stopped in his tracks by Josh Laurent, who ushered the ball back to his goalkeeper. The Addicks fans behind the goal appealed for a back-pass but referee Michael Salisbury was not interested. 

Arsenal loanee Mavididi fired an effort over the bar on 62 minutes but they would not have to wait too much longer for the opening goal.

Some brilliant, enterprising play from Aribo saw him pick up possession inside the area and he wriggled away from two men before squaring to Marshall, who fired home from six yards. 

The goal was the least that the south-east Londoners deserved and they could have doubled their advantage five minutes later. 

Mavididi stormed beyond Dawson to break into the box, chopped inside of another Bury man and then aimed a strike at goal that Ripley did superbly to deflected onto his post. 

Substitute Reeco Hackett-Fairchild had a strike deflected into the arms of Ripley as the Addicks tried to grab a second late on, and five minutes from time the Shakers’ best chance of the match arrived. Hanson nodded down a Dai cross but Laurent could only steer the loose ball wide. 

Six minutes of stoppage time were indicated as the clock hit 90 but Charlton defended superbly in the final stages to hold out for the three points. 

Bury: Ripley, Leigh, Dawson (c), Mayor, Ismail (Dai 75), Laurent, Skarz (Cooney 75), Cameron, Hanson, Bunn (Maguire 85), Clarke.

Subs (not used): Murphy, Tutte, Edwards, Danns.

Booked: Mayor 32 (dissent)

Charlton: Amos, Dijksteel, Konsa, Lennon, Dasilva, Kashi (c), Aribo (Jackson 90+1), Marshall, Reeves (Hackett-Fairchild 85), Mavididi (Forster-Caskey 88), Magennis.

Subs (not used): Phillips, Solly. 

Goal: Marshall 64

Booked: Dijksteel 78 (foul on Mayor), Amos 87 (time wasting)

Referee: M Salisbury

Attendance: 3,295 (352 from Charlton)

Read Time: 4 mins