REPORT | Charlton 1 Swansea City 2

Despite taking an early lead the Addicks lost 2-1 to Swansea City at The Valley as the visitors moved top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Jonathan Leko netted his second goal of the season in just the second minute of the game but goals either side of half-time for the Swans were enough to secure the three points in an even game.

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer made four changes to the team that beat Leeds United on Saturday, including handing a debut to summer signing Adam Matthews at right back. Despite the changes, the Addicks remained in the 4-4-2 diamond formation that Bowyer has preferred for much of his tenure. 

Matthews had an immediate impact getting involved in the Addicks opener shortly after kick-off. The former Celtic full back scampered down the right wing to collect a pass from Leko, his low cross was cleared into the path of the aforementioned Leko who took one touch to compose himself before smashing the ball past Freddie Woodman into the roof of the Swansea net.

It was an impressive start from Bowyer’s boys who controlled the opening 15 minutes and saw Sam Field drive an effort wide in the 16th minute after some lovely passing build-up.

The Swans equalised one minute later though, a goal which came against the run of play. Yan Dhanda squeezed the ball into the bottom corner of the Addicks goal following a swift counter attack from the visitors. 

Following the goal the game levelled out and despite both sides playing some nice passing football neither goalkeeper was tested for the remainder of the first half. 

Jason Pearce came closest for the Addicks with a header from a corner, while Jamie Fulton sent a fizzing effort over Dillon Phillips crossbar.

The Addicks stopper was called into action early in the second half when he did well to deny Fulton’s point blank header.

The Swans took the lead for the first time when Andre Ayew was able to stab home a 64th minute corner.

Charlton weren’t to be silenced for long and had a loud penalty appeal just minutes after going behind when substitute Chuks Aneke got in behind Joe Rodon. The pair both went to ground and referee Peter Bankes pointed for a foul by Aneke.

The Addicks had two further penalty appeals but were unable to trouble Woodman again as the Swans took the three points back to Wales.

Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce (C), Purrington (Forster-Caskey 77); Field, Cullen, Gallagher, Oztumer (Williams, 66); Leko (Aneke, 66), Bonne

Subs (not used): Amos, Oshilaja, Sarr, Pratley

Goal: Leko 2

Booked: Purrington (50, foul on Roberts), Gallagher (75, foul on Rodon), Lockyer (83, foul on Celina), Pearce (90)

Swansea City: Woodman, Rodon, Van Der Hoorn, Fulton, Grimes (C), Baston, Celina (Wilmott, 90+5), Dhanda (Carroll, 78), Ayew, Roberts, Naughton

Subs (not used): Mulder, John, Routledge, Surridge, Garrick

Goals: Dhanda 17, Ayew 64

Booked: Baston (90)

Referee: Peter Bankes

Attendance: 15,741 (1,122 from Swansea) 

Read Time: 3 mins