REPORT | Charlton 0 Ipswich Town 0

Charlton extended their unbeaten run to nine games, but were forced to share the spoils in a goalless draw with Ipswich Town at The Valley.

After a fairly even opening period, the Addicks largely took control after the interval but a number of saves from stopper Tomas Holy kept the hosts at bay.

Nigel Adkins made one alteration from the side that defeated Sunderland 2-1 at the Stadium of Light last weekend with Liam Millar replacing Ian Maatsen as the Addicks began in a 4-3-3 formation.

The visitors started spryly, forcing Ben Amos into an early stop when James Norwood met Andre Dozzell’s free kick before Jason Pearce headed Keanan Bennetts’ effort from the resulting rebound off the line. 

Charlton’s first opening of the game came on eight minutes when Jake Forster-Caskey’s outswinging corner was met by a stooping Ryan Inniss but the defender’s header was straight at Holy in the Ipswich net.

A bright passage of play followed for the Addicks with Forster-Caskey involved again, this time stealing possession inside his own half before finding Liam Millar. The Candian played through Alex Gilbey who glided past Luke Woolfenden before firing in a low drilled cross which was well dealt with by the Tractor Boys.

The Addicks almost took the lead shortly after the half hour mark when Ben Purrington’s looping cross was spilled by Holy, falling to Jayden Stockley but Mark McGuinness was alert to hack the striker’s left-footed effort off the line.

A long ball forward launched Ipswich’s next foray, Inniss heading into the path of the onrushing Teddy Bishop who played in Kayden Jackson, on for the injured James Norwood, down the left flank. The substitute drove into the penalty area before cutting back for Bennetts who fired wastefully high and wide with what was the last chance of the 45 minutes.

The Addicks’ threat from corners almost proved fruitful 12 minutes into the second period when Inniss’ flick towards goal was met by Jaiyesimi, though the former Swindon man was superbly rebuffed by Holy from point-blank range.

Forster-Caskey and Stockley then contrived to administer another opening, with the latter’s neat touch finding Millar, whose strike was saved by the Ipswich stopper low to his left.

Forster-Caskey continued to be the catalyst for Adkins’ side and the talisman had already seen his low strike snuffed out by Holy when he fizzed a first-time curler inches over the bar on 73 minutes. 

Another chance followed for the hosts soon after, Purrington beating his man before crossing low and hard towards Stockley but the forward couldn’t direct his effort past Holy.

By now, the Addicks were the established force, continuing to pin back the Tractor Boys and seek the elusive opener but Paul Cook’s side preserved the deadlock to share the spoils at The Valley. 

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Inniss, Pearce (C), Purrington; Gilbey, Pratley (Watson 61), Forster-Caskey; Jaiyesimi, Stockley, Millar

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Gunter, Oshilaja, Famewo, Shinnie, Schwartz

Booked: Jaiyesimi 45 (trip on halfway), Watson 68 (foul on Edwards)

Ipswich Town: Holy; Vincent-Young, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Ward (C) (Kenlock 70); Downes, Dozzell; Bennetts (Dobra 61), Bishop (Sears 70), Edwards; Norwood (Jackson 25)

Subs (not used): Cornell, Chambers, Skuse

Booked: Dozzell 43 (foul on Millar)

Referee: C Hicks 

Attendance: 0 (behind closed doors)

(Report by James Waller)

Read Time: 3 mins