REPORT | Accrington Stanley 1 Charlton 1

Chuks Aneke's 95th-minute leveller earned Charlton a point at the death against Accrington Stanley on Saturday afternoon, keeping hopes of a potential play-off berth alive.

A close battle at the Wham Stadium saw the hosts score what looked like the only goal of the game with nine minutes remaining via substitute Joe Pritchard, but Albie Morgan's excellent free-kick delivery deep into injury-time was met by Aneke who stabbed home from close range.

Nigel Adkins made four changes from midweek, with Ryan Inniss, Chris Gunter, Darren Pratley and Conor Washington all starting for Charlton who began in the 3-5-2 formation employed in the final 15 minutes against Crewe Alexandra.

The Addicks started sprightly in Lancashire, administering the game’s first chance on seven minutes through Washington. The Northern Irish international allowed Ian Maatsen’s pass to run through his legs to afford himself space on the edge of the box before firing over.

Stanley possessed the advantage of having the wind at their backs during the opening period and sought to exploit that by keeping the Addicks pinned back through their direct style of play, but Adkins’ men were up to the task, defending valiantly.

Jayden Stockley’s lay-off then found Alex Gilbey, who dragged his shot wide from range as both sides continued to find chances hard to come by.

The best opening of the half came in stoppage-time when Dion Charles cut onto his favoured right foot, before thumping an effort against Ben Amos’ right upright to conclude a first half deprived of clear-cut chances, with no shots on target from either side.

Proceedings picked up as they had left off with play oscillating between the boxes, and Adkins upped the ante on 58 minutes by introducing Aneke, prompting a mini-flurry of chances for his side.

Within five minutes, Charlton’s top scorer latched on to Stockley’s flick-on, driving into the penalty area before forcing Toby Savin into action at his near post from an acute angle. Jake Forster-Caskey’s resulting corner was attacked by Inniss, whose header fell just wide.

John Coleman’s side immediately hit back with a chance of their own as Colby Bishop met Adam Phillips’ cross, but the Stanley forward was foiled by Amos from close range.

The Addicks were inches away from breaking the deadlock on 74 minutes when Forster-Caskey fizzed a free-kick agonisingly close.

Instead, the hosts took the lead courtesy of Pritchard, who drove into the Charlton box before firing past a helpless Amos into the bottom left corner.

There was late drama, however, as Aneke met Morgan’s pinpoint inswinging free-kick to poke home his 14th league goal of the season and salvage a point for the Addicks.

Accrington Stanley: Savin; Barclay, Nottingham, Burgess; Rodgers, Russell (Pritchard 65’), Morgan, Phillips, McConville (C); Bishop, Charles

Subs (not used): Buckley, Perritt, Maguire, Scully, Mansell, Smyth

Goal: Pritchard 81

Booked: Russell 62 (late challenge on Famewo), McConville 73 (foul on Stockley), Rodgers 90+5 (foul on Millar)

Charlton: Amos; Inniss, Pearce (C) (Millar 74), Famewo; Gunter, Gilbey, Pratley (Morgan 90+1), Forster-Caskey (Shinnie 90+1), Maatsen; Washington (Aneke 58), Stockley

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Purrington

Goal: Aneke 90+5

Booked: Forster-Caskey 70’ (foul on Pritchard), Inniss 89’ (late challenge on McConville)

Referee: A Young

Attendance: 0 (behind closed doors)

(Report by James Waller)

Read Time: 3 mins