REPORT | Charlton 1 Hull City 0

Charlton came out victorious against Champions Hull City, but the win was not enough to seal a play-off place as Oxford United claimed all three points in their fixture to finish sixth on goal difference.

Going into the game, Charlton were relying on results elsewhere as Portsmouth faced Accrington Stanley and Oxford United hosted Burton Albion.

Addicks manager Nigel Adkins made two changes from his team that beat Lincoln City in midweek as Conor Washington and Albie Morgan replaced Ben Purrington and Jake Forster-Caskey.

The Addicks lined up in a 4-4-2 formation, with Alex Gilbey operating on the right hand-side and Liam Millar on the opposite wing, supporting Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington up front. The system seemed to switch to a more offensive 4-2-4 when in possession.

Hull started the brighter of the two sides, producing a couple of early corners within the first five minutes before Josh Magennis forced Ben Amos into a save. Gavin Whyte’s through ball found Magennis in a one-on-one situation and the former Addick’s low shot was saved by the feet of the onrushing Amos.

Elsewhere, Oxford had taken an early lead to rise into 6th place with Portsmouth going behind at home to Accrington Stanley.

Meanwhile at The Valley, Charlton were growing into the game with aggressive play in midfield. Gilbey won possession of the ball in the centre of the park before feeding Millar, who dribbled into the Hull box but could only fire a left footed shot over the bar.

Oxford United doubled their lead before half-time as the game at The Valley was interrupted by a couple of stoppages for injury. The first saw Callum Elder replaced by Josh Emmanuel following a challenge from Alex Gilbey.

As play resumed, Charlton were on the front foot and with 5 minutes remaining of normal time in the first half, Ian Maatsen played a fantastic cross-field lofted ball into the run of Washington. The striker took the ball down with a sublime touch before striking a right-footed volley just past the Hull City post. Moments later, Gilbey’s low driven left-footed shot from the edge of the visitor’s box just fizzed past the post with Stockley nearly turning it in on the way.

The Addicks came out in search of a goal in the second half and were nearly ahead just minutes in. Millar cut inside onto his right foot and sent a floating cross low towards Stockley in the opposing area, the striker got down to meet the ball with his head but his effort was just too high, looping onto the bar as it went behind. 

Millar was causing trouble in the early stages of the second half, once again picking the ball up on the left-hand side before turning onto his right foot and curling a shot just past the post.

Elsewhere, Oxford United held a firm grip on 6th place as they added a third goal against Burton Albion and Portsmouth were still behind to Accrington Stanley. However, this did not affect Charlton’s desire for three points as the introduction of Chuks Aneke and Andrew Shinnie showed attacking intent.

With 15 minutes to go, the Addicks took the lead through an own goal. Millar’s quick feet out wide saw him cut onto his right foot and whip a teasing ball across the Hull six-yard box. The cross was heading goalward and palmed onto the back of Jacob Greaves from the goalkeeper, the defender could not do anything to prevent scoring an unfortunate own goal.

Charlton nearly doubled their lead with minutes to go as a Shinne corner met the head of Akin Famewo at the far post, but the loanee’s powerful header was palmed away by Matt Ingram in the opposition goal.

Despite a solid performance and the resulting three points, Oxford’s victory against Burton saw the U’s finish the season in 6th place on goal difference. The Addicks finished the season in 7th place, two points ahead of Portsmouth in 8th.

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Maatsen; Morgan, Watson (Shinnie 69), Gilbey; Washington (Aneke 57), Stockley, Millar.

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Gunter, Pearce, Pratley, Jaiyesimi.

Goal: Greaves (og) 75

Booked: Gilbey 30 (foul), Innis 42 (foul).

Hull City: Ingram; Coyle, Jones, Greaves, Elder (Emmanuel 34’); Slater (Wood 80’), Docherty (Smallwood 80); Wilks, Whyte, Lewis-Potter (Crowley 57); Magennis (Scott 80)

Subs (not used): Long, Burke.

Booked: Docherty 67 (foul), Wood 90 (foul)

Read Time: 4 mins