FA CUP REPORT | Charlton 0 Norwich City 1

A valiant effort from the Addicks ultimately went unrewarded at The Valley on Saturday afternoon as Johnnie Jackson’s side bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup with a narrow defeat to Norwich City.

Substitute Milot Rashica struck the all-important goal for the Premier League side 11 minutes from time, latching onto Teemu Pukki’s centre to convert from close range.

Johnnie Jackson made four changes to the starting line-up that faced Wycombe Wanderers in our last league outing. Jonathan Leko and Mason Burstow led the Addicks’ line as Conor Washington missed out with a niggle, while Stephen Henderson and Ryan Inniss also started.

The Addicks started sprightly in the south London sunshine, showing intent and enterprise aplenty from the outset.

Diallang Jaiyesimi crafted the first opening after just four minutes with a tantalising delivery to the far post, though Jacob Sørensen was on hand to hack clear for the visitors.

A crunching tackle from Inniss then halted Ozan Kabak in his tracks as the Turkish international strode forward from defence. Inniss subsequently found Alex Gilbey who, in turn, fed Elliot Lee in space on the edge of the 18-yard box. Having chopped inside onto his favoured right foot, the Luton Town loanee sent a curling effort whistling narrowly past the upright with Tim Krul scrambling.

Lee was involved again soon after as the Addicks again went close, this time squaring for the advancing Leko, who could only scoop over Krul’s crossbar from five yards.

Moments later, Gilbey almost caught out Krul with a low drive from distance, but the Dutchman managed to send it over his crossbar - albeit in unorthodox fashion.

Jackson’s side started the second period in the same vein, George Dobson finding Lee in behind the lines with an incisive pass. The latter turned well to unleash an angled cross/shot, but was foiled by the outstretched boot of Krul.

Burstow was next to go close with a rasping drive from distance, before Gilbey’s low effort was smothered by Krul.

At the other end, two Norwich substitutes combined as Rashica crossed for Pukki, who laid off for Kenny McLean but his tame effort was comfortably gathered by Henderson.

Jackson rang the changes with 20 minutes remaining; Chris Gunter, Corey Blackett-Taylor and Josh Davison all entered the fray as the Addicks continued to probe for an opener.

However, with the game stretched, McLean found Pukki racing in behind the Addicks’ defence with a pinpoint through ball and the Finland international squared for the obliging Rashica to break the deadlock.

Henderson soon prevented the visitors from doubling their tally with a fingertip save to thwart Pierre Lees-Melou’s drive, before getting down smartly again to repel substitute Max Aarons’ effort on the angle.

There was further late drama as Henderson’s deep free-kick delivery was flicked back into the danger zone by Jason Pearce for Ben Purrington, though, agonisingly, the wing-back could only nod against the bar before Lee blazed wide with the follow-up.

Charlton: Henderson; Clare, Pearce (c), Inniss (Gunter 70); Jaiyesimi (Blackett-Taylor 71), Gilbey (Kirk 87), Dobson, Lee, Purrington; Leko, Burstow (Davison 70)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Matthews, Souaré, Morgan, Watson

Booked: Inniss 21 (foul on Sargent), Purrington 51 (foul on Byram), Dobson 69 (foul on Lees-Melou), Gilbey 76 (foul on Rashica)

Norwich City: Krul; Byram (Aarons 71), Hanley (c), Kabak, Giannoulis (Williams 46); Lees-Melou, Sørensen, McLean; Dowell (Rashica 46), Sargent (Idah 85), Tzolis (Pukki 46)

Subs (not used): Gunn, Gibson, Gibbs, Płacheta

Goal: Rashica 79

Booked: Hanley 75 (foul on Davison), Pukki 90+3 (time wasting), Sørensen 90+5 (foul on Lee)

Referee: Joshua Smith

Attendance: 13,825 (2,260 from Norwich)

Read Time: 3 mins