MATCH REPORT | Charlton 0 Oxford United 4

Charlton suffered a disappointing 4-0 defeat at the hands of Oxford United at The Valley on Saturday.

Two quickfire first-half goals from Matty Taylor put the visitors firmly in the ascendancy before Sam Baldock added a third nine minutes after the interval, with Cameron Brannagan compounding a frustrating afternoon for the Addicks late on.

Johnnie Jackson made one change from last weekend’s reverse at Wigan Athletic, restoring Albie Morgan to his starting XI as Mason Burstow made way.

The Addicks started the opening exchanges on the front foot and enjoyed an early flurry of openings, the first of which fell to Alex Gilbey.

Jonathan Leko drove to the byline to pull back for the advancing Gilbey, though the midfielder failed to bring the ball under his spell and Luke McNally cleared.

Jackson’s wing-backs soon combined as Adam Matthews’ inswinging centre found Diallang Jaiyesimi at the far post, only for the latter to strike against Jack Stevens’ side netting.

However, it was the visitors that struck first in SE7, with Taylor providing an unerring finish on the angle having been fed by Gavin Whyte.

Oxford almost doubled their lead on 26 minutes when Brannagan’s sidefooted effort rattled Craig MacGillivray’s crossbar, before the stopper produced a superb point-blank stop to deny Baldock’s follow-up.

The U’s did double their advantage moments later, though. Ryan Williams found Taylor racing in behind the Addicks’ defence and the forward converted past MacGillivray with a low first-time finish.

Burstow replaced Jaiyesimi after the restart as Jackson upped the ante and the 18-year-old was immediately involved.

Elliot Lee brought down George Dobson’s diagonal ball superbly before finding Burstow, but a crucial intervention from Herbie Kane diverted the substitute’s goalbound effort agonisingly wide of Jack Stevens’ left upright.

It was only to get worse for the Addicks though, as Oxford added a third through Baldock, who, having been released by Whyte, drove inside to curl a sumptuous effort into the bottom corner from the edge of the 18-yard box.

The Addicks’ mountain soon got steeper as Sean Clare was dismissed by referee Carl Boyeson after a coming together with Taylor, who was also cautioned for his role in the incident.

And Charlton’s frustrations were compounded seven minutes from time as Brannagan rifled home clinically from 22 yards.

On a disappointing day, there was one positive as Tyreece Campbell entered the fray late on to earn his Addicks debut.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Inniss (c), Purrington; Matthews, Dobson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi (Burstow 46); Gilbey, Lee (Campbell 88); Leko (Famewo 65)

Subs (not used): Harness, Pearce, Lavelle, John

Booked: Leko 10 (preventing a quick goal-kick), Jaiyesimi 23 (foul on Williams), Purrington 24 (foul on McNally), Inniss 63 (coming together with Baldock), Morgan 77 (foul on Whyte), Famewo 82 (foul on Winnall)

Sent off: Clare 62 (violent conduct)

Oxford United: Stevens; McNally (Brown 56), Moore (c), Long; Sykes, Kane, Brannagan, Williams; Taylor (Winnall 77), Whyte, Baldock (McGuane 72)

Subs (not used): Eastwood, Seddon, Forde, Holland

Goals: Taylor 21, 28, Baldock 54, Brannagan 83

Booked: Moore 29 (foul on Leko), Sykes 53 (foul on Morgan), Taylor 63 (coming together with Clare), Brown 72 (time-wasting)

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Attendance: 14,029 (1,987 from Oxford)

Read Time: 3 mins