REPORT | Rotherham United 0 Charlton 1

A wonderstrike from George Dobson extended the Addicks unbeaten away run to three as Charlton secured a very impressive 1-0 win at promotion-challenging Rotherham United.

The 22-yard shot in the 56th minute was Dobson’s first goal for the club and gave Charlton a deserved win in a game where the Addicks created much the better chances.

Dobson himself worked hard in the midfield but credit must go to all of Johnnie Jackson's starting XI who were solid in defence and posed a constant threat on the counter attack.

Jackson made five changes from the side that drew at AFC Wimbledon in midweek, with Jason Pearce, Akin Famewo, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Alex Gilbey and Albie Morgan returning to the side. 

The dangerous Blackett-Taylor had the first effort on goal of the game, cutting inside, from his left wing back position, onto his stronger right foot but his shot, from just outside the penalty area, was comfortably gathered by Millers’ stopper Viktor Johansson. 

Rotherham’s threat throughout the first half was aerial and Michael Ihiekwe saw an early header go well wide of the Charlton goal. Ben Wiles also volleyed wide as the home side, who had more of the ball, struggled to create clear-cut chances.

Meanwhile the Addicks posed a real threat on the counter attack. Just after the half hour mark Conor Washington got in behind the Rotherham defence but Ollie Rathbone made a fantastic last-ditch tackle with the Northern Ireland international poised to strike at goal. 

Just before the half-time interval Blackett-Taylor got the wrong side of his defender but his driven cross/shot was wide of the goal and in front of Washington in the six-yard box. 

Rotherham’s Michael Smith had the first sight of goal of the second half but headed over from a Shane Ferguson cross.

The Addicks then took control of the game with a strong 10-minute spell. Albie Morgan’s perfect cross from the left was toed at goal by Washington but Johansson was just able to gather – Blackett-Taylor’s follow-up across goal just couldn’t quite connect with a teammate.

Minutes later Charlton took the lead after some good controlled possession. Blackett-Taylor advanced into the Rotherham penalty area and played back to Morgan on the right corner of the box. The Addicks academy graduate passed across the goal to Dobson who smashed a first-time effort into the corner of the net giving Johansson no chance to save.

Charlton’s pressure continued and Sean Clare’s devilish cross was just cleared before one of the Addicks’ frontmen could pounce. Blackett-Taylor then smashed a long-range effort over the Rotherham crossbar.

Under the cosh, the home side made three changes and managed to wrestle back some control, with one of the substitutes, Mickel Miller, hitting over the bar after a goalmouth scramble.

Charlton continued to be dangerous on the counter attack and Blackett-Taylor’s 74th minute cross from the left was cleared back to him, he eventually set up for Dobson, looking for a second, but this time around his shot was straight at Johansson.

With six minutes remaining, Washington beat the offside trap but couldn’t quite chip his shot over a retreating Johansson. 

Jackson’s side managed the game well to secure a deserved three points. 

Rotherham United: Johansson, Harding, Barsaler (Osei-Tutu 68), Wood, Wiles, Ladapo, Ogbene, Ferguson (Miller 62), Rathbone (Lindsay 62), Ihiekwe, Smith

Subs (not used): Chapman, Mattock, Kayode, Edmonds-Green

Goal: Dobson 56

Booked: Famewo 43 (foul on Rathbone)

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Pearce (C), Famewo; Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Morgan, Blackett-Taylor (Purrington 90+2); Stockley, Washington

Subs (not used): Harness, John, Forster-Caskey, Jaiyesimi, Leko, Burstow

Referee: R Joyce

Attendance: 9,087 (442 from Charlton)

Read Time: 3 mins