Addicks beat Carlisle 3-2 at The Valley

Alfie May celebrates

Charlton 3 Carlisle United 2

The Addicks made it back-to-back wins on Saturday afternoon, beating Carlisle United 3-2 in the topsy-turvy encounter at The Valley to extend the Charlton's unbeaten run to seven. 

After a slow first 15 minutes, Nathan Jones' side went so close to opening the scoring when Alfie May’s corner from the left came back to him, and his second cross found George Dobson. The skipper’s diving header looked goalbound, but was kept out by a flying save from Harry Lewis.

Just four minutes later, the Cumbrians would strike from an almost identical situation. Taylor Charters’ corner did not beat the first man, but his second delivery found Luke Armstrong, who was able to flick the ball past Harry Isted and inside his right post.

It was a half dominated by set pieces, and the Addicks went close again in the 23rd minute when May’s free kick from deep was met by Terell Thomas, but the defender’s header did not have the required pace to beat Lewis.

Charlton’s pressure would eventually tell in the 37th minute. Daniel Kanu did well to turn Jon Mellish in midfield, and his shot from the edge of the area deflected off Paul Huntington and into the path of May. League One’s top scorer made no mistake, taking a touch before coolly slotting past Lewis.

Three minutes later Nathan Jones’ side were nearly ahead, when Dobson went close with a terrific lob from inside the area which had Lewis scrambling to tip the ball over.

Carlisle’s threat was not completely nullified though, and they had their own chance in first-half stoppage time when Charters released Jack Diamond on the counter-attack, but the striker dragged his shot wide.

The Addicks got off to the perfect start in the second half when, in the 54th minute, May turned provider. The striker curled a perfect cross for Kanu, and the academy graduate crashed the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

But by the 63rd minute, the scores were level again. In a tussle to clear Jack Armer’s cross, Macaulay Gillesphey was adjudged to have fouled Armstrong in the box. Charters made no mistake from the spot, converting the penalty to even things up.

The home side responded well again, hitting the post just two minutes later from a Kanu header after an excellent volleyed cross from Tennai Watson. Conor Coventry’s 68th minute volley from the edge of the box also required a smart stop from Lewis.

Their quality would eventually tell when, in the 75th minute, May latched onto a loose back pass from former Addick Sam Lavelle to round the goalkeeper and tap into the empty net. The number nine is back in excellent form – this was his fourth goal in as many games.

Despite a nervy five minutes of stoppage time, Charlton held out to claim another win. Nathan Jones’ side are now one of the form teams in League One and look ahead to a visit to Fleetwood next Saturday.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Thomas, Gillesphey; T.Watson, Dobson (c), Coventry, Anderson (Wickham 72), Small; May (Ladapo 86), Kanu (Bakinson 86)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Hector, Campbell

Goals: May 37, 75, Kanu 62

Assist: May 62

Booked: Anderson 7 (delaying the game), Edmonds-Green 46 (foul on Diamond)

Carlisle United: Lewis; Ellis (Emmanuel 72), Lavelle, Huntington (c), Mellish, Armer; McGeouch (Gibson 86), Neal, Charters; Armstrong, Diamond (Maguire 72)

Subs (not used): Breeze, McCalmont, Butterworth, Robinson

Goals: Armstrong 20, Charters 63

Assists: Charters 20, Armstrong 63

Booked: McGeouch 44 (foul on T.Watson)

Attendance: 13,978 (872 away)

Referee: Tom Nield

Read Time: 3 mins