Addicks begin pre-season with resounding win


Four goals from academy graduates helped the Addicks claim a resounding 6-1 win to kick-off their pre-season at Dartford.

After a subdued start, Charlton sprang into life in the 14th minute when Tyreece Campbell, starting as a central striker, played a one-two with Scott Fraser to take him in behind the Darts’ defence.

Fraser’s return ball was inch-perfect, and Campbell opened up his body to pass the ball beyond goalkeeper Jacob Marsden and in at the far post.

In the 23rd minute the Addicks doubled their lead when the impressive Thierry Small stood up Callum Jones and sent in a wonderful cross to the back post, where his fellow wing-back Nathan Asiimwe was waiting. Asiimwe, who scored twice at Princes Park this time last year, made no mistake, touching home from six yards out.

Less than a minute later, Nathan Jones’ side had the perfect chance to add another. Winning the ball back immediately from Dartford’s kick-off, Charlton surged forward through Trialist Teddy Bishop. The midfielder’s pass across the box escaped Small initially, but at the second attempt the wing-back’s cross hit the hand of Dwight Pascal.

Daniel Kanu was the man who would step up, and the striker crashed his penalty in off the underside of crossbar.

It had been a difficult 15-minute spell for the hosts, but they came back into the game and pulled a goal back in the 39th minute. Sam Odaudu sent in a deep cross from the left, and Jones got across Small to glance a wonderful header into Harry Isted’s top corner.

But three minutes later the visitors would restore their three-goal lead. Asiimwe’s throw was helped inside by Kayne Ramsay, and Campbell took a touch before firing past Marsden at his near post from 20 yards out.

It was all change for both sides at half time, and new signing Luke Berry was at the heart of a number of good moves - including in the 66th minute when the Addicks claimed their fifth. 

The midfielder fired the ball into the feet of fellow new arrival Matty Godden, who turned it around the corner for Tennai Watson, and the wing-back placed a confident finish past the Dartford goalkeeper.

The Addicks were in complete control, and still had time to add another five minutes from time when Tayo Edun pulled the ball back to Berry on the edge of the box. His shot was straight at the Dartford goalkeeper, but Trialist Danny Hylton was on hand to touch home the rebound.

It was an afternoon in which the Addicks showed their class against non-League opposition, and Jones’ side will now jet off to Slovenia for their pre-season training camp.

Charlton (first half): Isted; Ramsay, Jones (c), Gillesphey; Asiimwe, Taylor, Bishop (Trialist), Fraser, Small; Kanu, Campbell

Charlton (second half): Mannion; Z Mitchell, A Mitchell, Edmonds-Green; Watson, Coventry, Edun (Henry 88), Berry (c), Edwards; Ahadme (Hylton (Trialist) 80), Godden

Goals: Campbell 14, 42, Asiimwe 23, Kanu 24, Watson 66, Hylton 85

Assists: Fraser 14, Small 23, Ramsay 42, Godden 66

Dartford (first half): Marsden; Pascal, Hill (c), Williams, Odaudu; Olopade, Christian-Law, Allen; Jones, Box, Ofori-Acheampong

Dartford (second half): Trialist; Trialist, Whitefield (c), Ackinson, Boulton; Nayler, Trialist, Sillince; Guest, Trialist (Proctor 78), Day

Sub (not used): Pinder

Goal: Jones 39

Assist: Odaudu 39

Attendance: 2,149

Referee: Nick Dunn

Read Time: 3 mins